Jefferson helps Jazz keep Wizards winlessNov 18, 2012 - 5:05 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Al Jefferson posted a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds to lead the Utah Jazz to an 83-76 win over the Washington Wizards on Saturday.
Gordon Hayward added 15 points off the bench and Mo Williams scored 12 points and dished out six assists for the Jazz, who had dropped two straight entering the game.
"(The Wizards) play hard. We talked about it before the game that we can't think that because of their record and think we're just going to get a win," said Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin. "They hung in there the whole game, and even had a chance to win. There not at full speed right now, but they played hard."
Jordan Crawford scored 20 points and had eight assists, and Trevor Ariza had 16 points, nine rebounds and three steals for the Wizards, who are only team in the NBA without a win this season (0-8).
"It is just discouraging that we can't break through," said Wizards coach Randy Wittman. "We have to find a way. I am going to continue to look for different combinations, and play different guys together and see trying to get into a little bit of a rhythm."
Utah trailed by as many as eight points in the third quarter, but used an 8-0 burst to tie the game at 55 with 3:44 left in the period. Jefferson's jumper with 28.4 seconds left gave the Jazz a 65-63 lead entering the fourth.
The Jazz saw their lead grow to 11 in the fourth quarter after Paul Millsap buried a 19-foot jumper at the 2:23 mark. The Wizards never got it closer than seven the rest of the way.
Washington scored the game's first 11 points and held a narrow 17-15 lead after one quarter despite shooting a dreadful 30.4 percent from the field. Ariza led the way, netting seven of his points in the frame on 3-for-7 shooting.
The Wizards took a 40-38 lead into the break. Ariza added nine more in the frame and while Hayward led the Jazz with seven.
The Jazz are 2-6 on the road this season ... Utah has won eight of the last 11 games against the Wizards ... Washington started the season 0-8 last season before winning their ninth game against Toronto. The Wizards host Indiana on Monday ... Utah committed 19 turnovers, leading to 25 points.
- UTAH: 83
Nov 17 9:18 PM
- UTAH: 65
End of 3rd
Nov 17 8:43 PM
- UTAH: 38
Nov 17 8:03 PM
- UTAH: 15
End of 1st
Nov 17 7:35 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 11:59
Nov 17 7:12 PM
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Hornets look for first playoff win in 14 seasons vs. Heat Apr 14
- Wizards president Grunfeld stays, fires coach Wittman Apr 14