Wall, Wizards edge NuggetsJan 19, 2013 - 8:40 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - John Wall tallied 14 points and 12 assists in the Washington Wizards' 112-108 win over the Denver Nuggets.
Ty Lawson had a chance to tie the game in the waning moments, but his right- handed driving layup was blocked by Wall, who left his defender to come over and make the swat.
Wall then proceeded to make a pair of foul shots to seal the win.
Bradley Beal netted 23 points to lead the Wizards, who snapped an eight-game road losing streak.
"It feels good because this is a great team and it shows that we are capable of competing and beating anybody," Beal said.
Lawson finished with 29 points and six assists for Denver, which fell to 15-3 at home this season.
"We've had similar games of not having enough effort, not having enough serious basketball. We've been messing with fire and tonight we got burned," Nuggets head coach George Karl said.
The Nuggets had an 87-80 edge after three quarters of play, but Washington began the fourth on a 12-0 run to take the lead for good. Trevor Ariza and Jordan Crawford nailed 3-pointers during the surge, which was capped on Kevin Seraphin's hook shot for a 92-87 advantage with 9:36 left.
Later, Lawson's reverse layup pulled the hosts within 106-104 before Seraphin's putback layup made it 108-104 with 28.9 seconds to go. A pair of Andre Miller layups, sandwiched around Crawford's split from the foul line, cut the deficit to 109-108 with 13.6 left.
Beal then made one of two from the stripe, but Lawson couldn't get past Wall at the other end.
The game was knotted at 19-19 after the first before Denver outscored Washington 31-26 in the second and took a 50-45 margin into the break.
Seraphin had 18 points, while Ariza finished with 14 ... Miller netted 17 points ... Washington turned the ball over 21 times, which led to 28 Nugget points.
- WASHINGTON: 112
Jan 18 11:25 PM
- WASHINGTON: 80
End of 3rd
Jan 18 10:45 PM
- WASHINGTON: 45
Jan 18 10:06 PM
- WASHINGTON: 19
End of 1st
Jan 18 9:37 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Jan 18 9:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Hornets look for first playoff win in 14 seasons vs. Heat Apr 14
- Wizards president Grunfeld stays, fires coach Wittman Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14