Rockets hold off JazzDec 2, 2012 - 6:44 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Patrick Patterson had 20 points and was one of seven Houston players to score in double-digits as the Rockets used a late run to take a 124-116 win over the Utah Jazz.
Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin each had 19 points, James Harden added 18 points and seven assists while Omer Asik posted 14 points and 12 boards for the Rockets, who have won four of their last five. Greg Smith and Carlos Delfino each posted 13 points off the bench.
"Utah is a real physical team. I think it took us a while to realize just to get a feel for them," Houston coach Kelvin Sampson said. "Some teams we play are finesse teams. This team will rattle your cage."
Gordon Hayward scored 21 points while Al Jefferson and Randy Foye each gave 20 points for the Jazz, who have dropped their past two games.
Houston had a 10-point lead with 7 1/2 minutes to play, but the Jazz answered with a 12-2 run and tied the game when Foye drained a 3-pointer with just over five minutes left.
A bit later, Patterson hit a 3-pointer and, after several misses for Utah, Harden got a layup. Asik then blocked a Jefferson jumper and Lin followed with a short jumper for a 116-109 lead with 2:42 to play.
A Jefferson layup got Utah within five points with 1:45 left in the game, but Asik's three-point play gave Houston an 8-point advantage with 1:20 to play.
Paul Millsap kept Utah's hopes alive with a 3-pointer, but Parsons killed it with a 3-ball of his own to give the home team the victory.
"Any loss is a disappointing loss," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "We just didn't finish it off."
The game was tied at 28-all after the first 12 minutes, but Houston used a strong second quarter to give the team a 58-49 lead going into the break.
Utah closed the gap in the third quarter and was able to take an 86-85 lead into the final frame as Foye capped the scoring in the frame with a 3-pointer.
Utah had won three straight in the series, including a 102-91 matchup in Utah on Nov. 19 ... Utah hosts the LA Clippers on Monday ... Houston hosts the LA Lakers on Tuesday ... Houston made 55.4 percent of its shots while Utah made 51.1 percent from the floor.
- UTAH: 116
Dec 1 10:17 PM
- UTAH: 86
End of 3rd
Dec 1 9:45 PM
- UTAH: 49
Dec 1 9:04 PM
- UTAH: 28
End of 1st
Dec 1 8:34 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 11:59
Dec 1 8:12 PM
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26
- Warriors-Rockets Game 4: most 1st-round viewers since '02 Apr 26
- Stephen Curry out at least 2 weeks with sprained right knee Apr 25