Jefferson and Jazz slip past MagicDec 6, 2012 - 7:24 AM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Al Jefferson tallied 31 points and 15 rebounds in the Utah Jazz's 87-81 win over the Orlando Magic.
"That's why I get paid the big bucks," Jefferson said. "They expect me to go out there and lead the team, nothing less."
Jefferson, who went 13-of-20 from the field, exited late in the contest with back spasms.
"When you get a guy like him rolling, he is tough to stop," Orlando head coach Jacque Vaughn said of Jefferson.
Paul Millsap added 22 points for Utah, which snapped a three-game slide.
Glen Davis donated 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Magic, who went just 1- of-15 from beyond the arc.
Davis' dunk along the right baseline capped a 12-2 run and gave Orlando a 79-78 edge with 3:33 to play in the contests. It was the Magic's first lead since it was 2-1 in the early going.
The Jazz, though, responded and netted the next five.
Randy Foye swished a 3-pointer from the right wing and Jefferson's floater made it 83-79 in favor of the hosts with 2:28 remaining.
Two Jameer Nelson free throws preceded Jefferson's left wing jumper, which made it 85-81 with 1:51 left.
J.J. Redick misfired on a pair of triples over the next 1:35 and two free throws from Gordon Hayward with 15 ticks to go capped the scoring.
Earlier, Mo Williams netted nine quick points and Utah jumped out to a 17-9 advantage midway through the opening frame before taking a 24-15 edge into the second.
Millsap had 16 first-half points as the Jazz entered the break with a 45-34 edge.
Utah led, 68-57, after three.
Nikola Vucevic pulled down 16 rebounds for Orlando ... Utah shot 1-of-10 from three-point range ... Utah scored 15 points off 19 Orlando turnovers ... The Jazz registered 12 steals.
- ORLANDO: 81
Dec 5 11:19 PM
- ORLANDO: 57
End of 3rd
Dec 5 10:44 PM
- ORLANDO: 34
Dec 5 10:03 PM
- ORLANDO: 15
End of 1st
Dec 5 9:32 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Dec 5 9:10 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- Magic walk away from season disappointed, yet encouraged Apr 14