Nuggets continue amazing home winning streakMar 10, 2013 - 7:20 AM Minnesota Timberwolves, 111-88, to clinch their longest home winning streak in 24 years.
Lawson shot 12-for-17 from the field and Denver blew past the Timberwolves over the final 15 minutes, outscoring them 36-22, to record its 13th straight victory at the Pepsi Center.
Corey Brewer added 15 points, while Andre Iguodala and Danilo Gallinari chipped in 11 apiece in helping the Nuggets attain their longest streak at home since a 19-game run from Jan. 28-April 20, 1989.
Mickael Gelabale was the high-scorer for Minnesota, tallying 19 points. J.J. Barea followed with 15 and Derrick Williams donated 13 points for the Timberwolves, losers in 13 of their last 14 road games.
"We had nine players. The whole front line is hurt," Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman said. "It makes it difficult, but that's what it is right now and we have to find a way through it."
The Nuggets held a slim 50-49 advantage at the break, but started to create separation late in the third.
"The first half we played terrible," Lawson admitted. "They beat us last time with a trap game so we came out strong in the second half and stuck with the game plan."
A Ricky Rubio layup and a technical free throw from Luke Ridnour had the T'Wolves within 75-66 with 3:25 left in the quarter, but JaVale McGee had a pair of alley-oop slams during an 8-0 surge to put Denver on top by 17.
Holding an 83-70 edge heading into the fourth, Lawson went off for 14 points during an 18-4 push to break the game open at 103-80. He converted a pair of 3-pointers and made all six of his shots during the stretch with the Nuggets on their way to an eighth straight win.
The Timberwolves trailed by at least 20 points the rest of the way.
The Nuggets led 27-24 at the end of the first and held a seven-point edge in the second before Minnesota reduced its deficit to one by halftime.
The Nuggets improved to 28-3 at home. Minnesota was responsible for one of those losses, beating Denver at the Pepsi Center back on Jan. 3 ... The Nuggets won the battle inside the paint, 54-36 ... Rubio had 11 points and six assists for Minnesota.
- MINNESOTA: 88
Mar 10 12:16 AM
- MINNESOTA: 70
End of 3rd
Mar 9 11:49 PM
- MINNESOTA: 49
Mar 9 11:04 PM
- MINNESOTA: 24
End of 1st
Mar 9 10:33 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:37
Mar 9 10:11 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Thibodeau's role w/Wolves: 'It's about alignment, not power' Apr 26
- Timberwolves hire Thibodeau as coach/president, Layden is GM Apr 20
- Minnesota Timberwolves hire Tom Thibodeau as coach and president, Scott Layden as GM Apr 20
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20