Wolves edge HornetsMar 18, 2013 - 2:17 AM
Pekovic sunk two go-ahead free throws with 14 seconds remaining and Kirilenko made two key blocks in the Minnesota Timberwolves' 97-95 win over the New Orleans Hornets.
Pekovic's foul shots gave the Wolves a 96-95 lead and Eric Gordon took the ball to the basket on New Orleans' next possession, but Kirilenko came over to help defensively and swatted the shot away before splitting a pair from the line to put Minnesota up by two.
Kirilenko then blocked Roger Mason Jr.'s 3-point attempt at the buzzer.
"Good win," Minnesota head coach Rick Adelman said. "We made two or three plays down the stretch that won the games for us."
Pekovic missed the last nine games with an abdominal strain, while Kirilenko sat out the previous eight contests with a calf injury. Pekovic tallied 13 points and six rebounds and Kirilenko added eight points and five boards.
Derrick Williams finished with 28 points for Minnesota, which had dropped 10 of its last 12 tilts coming in.
"Derrick Williams had a monster night, you don't expect him to go off for 28," Hornets head coach Monty Williams said. "Tough loss, our guys battled."
Greivis Vasquez tallied 24 points, seven rebounds and five assists, while Robin Lopez finished 20 points and 11 rebounds for the Hornets, who have lost eight of their last 10 contests.
The Hornets led 95-91 with 1:00 to play after Vasquez made two foul shots, but Ricky Rubio's three-point play pulled Minnesota within one. Gordon then missed a step-back jumper and Pekovic was fouled at the other end.
Minnesota took a 28-27 edge after a quarter of play before the Hornets outscored the Wolves 25-22 in the second to take a 52-50 cushion into the break. The Wolves headed into the final frame with a 76-73 advantage.
Anthony Davis registered 17 points, nine rebounds and three steals for the Hornets ... New Orleans turned the ball over 20 times, which led to 18 Minnesota points.
- NEW ORLEANS: 95
Mar 17 9:29 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 95
End of Regulation
Mar 17 9:28 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 73
End of 3rd
Mar 17 8:44 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 52
Mar 17 8:04 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 27
End of 1st
Mar 17 7:31 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:49
Mar 17 7:11 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30