Aminu helps Hornets put away SunsFeb 7, 2013 - 4:22 AM Phoenix Suns.
Aminu also pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds, and Greivis Vasquez recorded a double-double of his own with 19 points and 12 assists for the Hornets, who shot 52 percent from the field and allowed just 31 points in the second half.
"We just defended better in the second half," Hornets head coach Monty Williams said. "We did enough to get stops and scores when we needed it."
The Suns, coming off a win at Memphis on Tuesday, received 14 points apiece from Jared Dudley and Marcin Gortat.
A wildly back-and-forth first half featured 19 lead changes and 11 ties, but the upper hand switched just twice after the break as the Hornets took control with a 13-2 run midway through the third quarter.
Vasquez opened the stretch with a go-ahead layup and ended it with an alley- oop feed to Aminu for a 73-63 advantage with 3:45 remaining in the frame.
"I thought defensively they took us out of what we wanted to do," Dudley said. "We had a lot of unforced and forced turnovers that led to transition points."
A Gortat jumper pulled the Suns within 85-80 down the stretch, but an Eric Gordon 21-footer followed by six consecutive points from Aminu put the game away.
Phoenix led, 27-26, after the first quarter and trailed by one, 54-53, at halftime.
The Suns had won four straight meetings against the Hornets ... Gordon, who had missed two of the previous three games with a sore knee and balky back, scored nine points on 3-of-14 shooting ... Ryan Anderson scored 14 points for the Hornets, who had 16 fastbreak points to Phoenix's six ... Goran Dragic logged 13 points and six assists in defeat.
- PHOENIX: 84
NEW ORLEANS: 93
Feb 6 10:21 PM
- PHOENIX: 71
NEW ORLEANS: 78
End of 3rd
Feb 6 9:49 PM
- PHOENIX: 53
NEW ORLEANS: 54
Feb 6 9:09 PM
- PHOENIX: 27
NEW ORLEANS: 26
End of 1st
Feb 6 8:36 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:39
Feb 6 8:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27