Thompson, Warriors hold off SunsFeb 21, 2013 - 7:23 AM
Jarrett Jack added 21 points, Stephen Curry checked in with 20 and 11 assists and David Lee posted 19 points and 11 rebounds to get the Warriors back on track.
Golden State forced 16 turnovers and never trailed after the opening minute.
"This is a game we should have won and we did win," Golden State coach Mark Jackson remarked. "And I like the fashion in which we did it."
Goran Dragic paced the Suns with 20 points and 10 assists, while Jermaine O'Neal chipped in 17 points and 12 boards in the loss. Luis Scola also posted a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds, but it wasn't enough to earn back-to-back victories after winning at Portland on Tuesday.
"We're trying to create a mentality here. We're trying to learn how to be a good team," O'Neal said. "To fight and keep coming back, that's what you want."
Thompson scored 14 points in a first quarter that saw the Warriors shoot 74 percent (14-of-19) from the field en route to a 33-26 lead.
Phoenix went into halftime trailing, 57-49, and squandered a chance to go in front when Marcin Gortat was way off the mark on a hook shot from the left block midway through the third quarter.
Golden State scored 11 of the next 15 points to stay in front, 79-71, and Carl Landry's late layup provided an 85-76 lead heading to the fourth.
The Warriors seemingly pulled away with a 9-2 run that ended with Andrew Bogut blocking O'Neal's attempted reverse dunk and Jack draining a 3-pointer for a 94-84 lead with 6:41 to play.
The Suns stayed close by scoring six straight points, but Curry got a floater to fall and pulled up for a 3-pointer that resulted in a 99-90 lead, and the Warriors controlled the final 3 1/2 minutes.
Golden State won the season series with Phoenix in consecutive seasons for the first time since winning four straight from the 1973-74 season through 1976-77 ... Dragic also recorded a career-high five steals ... Bogut played a season- high 29:19 and finished with seven points and 11 rebounds.
- PHOENIX: 98
GOLDEN STATE: 108
Feb 21 12:49 AM
- PHOENIX: 76
GOLDEN STATE: 85
End of 3rd
Feb 21 12:17 AM
- PHOENIX: 49
GOLDEN STATE: 57
Feb 20 11:35 PM
- PHOENIX: 26
GOLDEN STATE: 33
End of 1st
Feb 20 11:04 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
GOLDEN STATE: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Feb 20 10:42 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19