Boozer helps Bulls best MagicJan 3, 2013 - 4:55 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Carlos Boozer tallied 31 points and 11 rebounds in the Chicago Bulls' 96-94 triumph over the Orlando Magic.
Luol Deng netted 23 points, while Taj Gibson added 21 points and 11 boards for the Bulls, who nearly surrendered an 18-point lead.
"We had good offensive energy and not the necessary defensive energy," Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau admitted. "It was better, but we still have to do much better than we did tonight."
Jameer Nelson nailed six 3-pointers and tied a career-high with 32 points for Orlando, which has dropped seven consecutive contests.
"There was a stretch in the game where Chicago could break our spirits, but we stayed together," Magic head coach Jacque Vaughn said. "They're playing hard, but it's just not resulting into wins."
The Magic used an 11-2 run to cut the Chicago advantage to 86-84 midway through the fourth, only to see the Bulls counter with an 8-0 spurt.
Gibson had a dunk, Kirk Hinrich sunk a pair of free throws, Boozer converted a layup and Richard Hamilton nailed pull-up jumper in transition to make it 94-84 with 3:35 remaining.
The Magic responded again, though.
Triples by J.J. Redick and Arron Afflalo, sandwiched around a Nikola Vucevic dunk, pulled the hosts within 94-92 with 46 ticks left.
Hinrich missed a jumper at the other end, but Gibson blocked Nelson's shot on Orlando's ensuing trip down the floor and Deng nailed two free throws with 4.2 ticks to play to seal the outcome.
The Bulls led 29-28 after a quarter of play, took a 54-46 edge into the break and headed into the final frame with an 82-71 cushion.
Chicago center Joakim Noah missed his second straight game with the flu ... The Bulls turned the ball over just seven times, while the Magic committed 12 giveaways.
- CHICAGO: 96
Jan 2 9:27 PM
- CHICAGO: 96
End of Regulation
Jan 2 9:26 PM
- CHICAGO: 82
End of 3rd
Jan 2 8:52 PM
- CHICAGO: 54
Jan 2 8:00 PM
- CHICAGO: 29
End of 1st
Jan 2 7:33 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Jan 2 7:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Timberwolves hire Thibodeau as coach/president, Layden is GM Apr 20
- APNewsBreak: Timberwolves talking with Mark Jackson Apr 19
- Steve Kerr enjoying the ride watching Warriors make history Apr 14
- Magic walk away from season disappointed, yet encouraged Apr 14
- Changes could be in store for Bulls after rough season Apr 14