Late rally gives Denver 14th straight winMar 22, 2013 - 6:50 AM Denver Nuggets overcame a five-point hole in the last 14 seconds of their 101-100 win over the Philadelphia 76ers to extend their winning streak to 14 games.
Jrue Holiday sunk two free throws to give Philly a 100-95 edge with 14.3 seconds remaining before Brewer nailed a 3-pointer with 9.2 ticks on the clock.
Evan Turner then missed a pair from the stripe and Brewer was fouled on a triple by Damien Wilkins with 2.1 seconds left. He proceeded to make all three foul shots.
Wilkins' jumper at the buzzer was blocked.
Brewer finished with 29 points and five steals, while Andre Miller added 21 points and eight assists for Denver, which turned 23 Philly turnovers into 25 points.
"You can't play well all the time, and it's when you don't play well that you figure out how to come up with a win. I'm not going to deny this was somewhat lucky but we got Corey to have a hot game," Denver head coach George Karl said of Brewer.
Wilkins led the Sixers with 24 points and Holiday filled the stat sheet with 18 points, 15 assists, six rebounds and four steals in defeat.
"That's some crazy stuff that just happened. The season's been rough. That's one you just shake your head. It seems like a fluke to me," Turner said.
Denver trailed 98-90 with 2:07 left, but Kosta Koufos split a pair from the charity stripe before Danilo Gallinari made two free throws on the Nuggets' next touch. After Turner missed a layup, an Anthony Randolph dunk made it 98-95 with 25.6 ticks left on the clock.
The Sixers led 22-17 after a quarter of play before Denver outscored them 34-22 in the second to take a 51-44 lead into the break. The Nuggets headed into the final frame with a 75-71 edge.
Philly scored 20 points off of 20 Denver giveaways ... Denver held a 48-40 points in the paint margin ... Spencer Hawes registered 17 points and 12 boards for the Sixers.
- PHILADELPHIA: 100
Mar 21 11:25 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 100
End of Regulation
Mar 21 11:24 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 71
End of 3rd
Mar 21 10:42 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 44
Mar 21 10:02 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 22
End of 1st
Mar 21 9:37 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:37
Mar 21 9:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- 76ers counting on free agents, draft picks for better future Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14