Nelson pushes Magic past 76ersMar 11, 2013 - 3:46 AM
Arron Afflalo followed with 17 points, while former Sixer Nikola Vucevic posted 14 points and 17 rebounds to help the Magic snap a seven-game home losing streak.
Thaddeus Young scored a game-high 26 points and grabbed 12 boards for the Sixers, who have lost 13 straight on the road.
"They just made shots at the end," Young admitted. "I think we played good defense but they made some tough shots."
Philadelphia trailed by just one, 73-72, heading into the fourth and after the teams traded buckets for much of the frame, the Sixers found themselves within two, 91-89, with under three minutes left.
Jrue Holiday then stepped to the line for two free throws that would have tied the game, but the All-Star guard missed both before Afflalo knocked down a jumper to push Orlando's lead to four.
After both teams came up empty on their next touches, Damien Wilkins turned the ball over in the backcourt, and Afflalo promptly buried a 3-pointer from the left corner to make it 96-89 with 59.8 ticks left.
Philadelphia managed just one bucket over the final minute, allowing Orlando to hang on for the victory.
"We held them to 40 points in the second half," Magic coach Jacque Vaughn remarked. "That'll give you a chance to win every single night, whether shots are going in, whether the 3-ball is going in, whether you get to the free- throw line or not. Playing defense like that gives you a chance to win."
The Sixers led 30-28 after 12 minutes, but Vucevic and Tobias Harris combined for 16 points on 8-of-11 shooting in the second stanza to help Orlando take a 56-51 lead into the break.
Philadelphia opened the second half on a 17-7 surge to turn a five-point deficit into a five-point lead, but the Magic closed the quarter on a 10-4 swing to take a slim 73-72 edge into the fourth.
Wilkins finished with 16 points for Philadelphia ... Harris added 15 points and seven rebounds for Orlando ... Philadelphia fell to 7-22 on the road overall ... Orlando improved to 10-24 at home.
- PHILADELPHIA: 91
Mar 10 8:14 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 72
End of 3rd
Mar 10 7:39 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 51
Mar 10 7:01 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 30
End of 1st
Mar 10 6:33 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:43
Mar 10 6:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12