Celtics stay rolling with win over MagicNov 12, 2013 - 7:06 AM
In between their win in Orlando last Friday, the Celtics stunned the two-time defending champion Miami Heat on Jeff Green's last-second 3-pointer. Late heroics were not needed Monday, as Boston shot a staggering 60 percent from the floor and got contributions throughout its lineup in the club's fourth straight victory following an 0-4 start.
"We've made good strides, we've made the right strides, but we have a long way to go and there's a lot of things to improve," Celtics first-year head coach Brad Stevens said.
Jordan Crawford played mistake-free and totaled 16 points and 10 assists, Kelly Olynyk added 16 points on 7-of-9 shooting and reserves Jared Sullinger and Courtney Lee chipped in 14 and 12 points, respectively.
Arron Afflalo netted 18 points while Nikola Vucevic added 15 with 10 rebounds to lead the Magic, who have dropped three in a row on the heels of a three- game winning streak.
Orlando has also lost 10 straight to Boston and is mired in a 16-game road skid dating back to last season.
"I don't really feel like we were truly in the game at any point just simply because we couldn't get stops," Afflalo said.
It was back-and-forth for the first nine minutes before the Celtics gained control by scoring 12 of the final 16 points of the opening quarter to go on top, 31-25.
They never relinquished the lead from there.
A Sullinger hook shot just before halftime gave the hosts a 59-50 cushion at the break, and Bradley led the way with 10 points in a third quarter that saw Boston's lead grow to 87-72 following a Lee 3-pointer in the final minute.
Two free throws from Jason Maxiell pulled the Magic within 87-74 heading to the fourth, but the outcome was never in doubt in the final quarter.
Orlando came in No. 2 in the league in field goal percentage defense (40.3 percent) ... Green (16 points) and Brandon Bass (10) rounded out Boston's top scorers ... Victor Oladipo finished with 17 points for the Magic, who recorded just four fastbreak points to Boston's 20 ... Orlando's last road victory came over the-then New Orleans Hornets on March 4 ... The Bruins played at TD Bank Garden just hours before tip-off and blanked the Tampa Bay Lightning en route to a 3-0 victory.
Nov 11 9:47 PM
- ORLANDO: 74
End of 3rd
Nov 11 9:18 PM
- ORLANDO: 50
Nov 11 8:35 PM
- ORLANDO: 25
End of 1st
Nov 11 8:05 PM
- ORLANDO: 2
1st Quarter - 11:41
Nov 11 7:41 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29