Horford's jumper rallies Hawks past MavsNov 30, 2013 - 4:17 AM
The Hawks trailed by as many as 17 in the second half and 13 in the fourth quarter.
After Dirk Nowitzki made it 80-67 with a 3-pointer early in the frame. Atlanta, used a 14-5 burst to pull within 85-81 with just under four minutes left.
The teams traded free throws, and after Nowitzki missed a short jumper, Paul Millsap buried a triple to make it 87-86 with 1:16 left. After Monta Ellis couldn't get a tough hook shot to fall, Jeff Teague missed an easy layup.
The Mavs took the shot clock down until Nowitzki misfired from just above the foul line.
Horford responded with the clock winding down with a jumper from the top of the key to give Atlanta the lead.
Vince Carter's shot at the buzzer wasn't close.
Horford finished with 17 points and 12 rebounds and Teague added 25 points and six assists for the Hawks, who had lost three straight entering the contest.
"It was a much-needed win for us, just excited to be on the winning end tonight," Horford said. "The energy started to shift, the crowd really started getting into it. I felt when we picked up our intensity, everything changed."
Nowitzki scored 16 points for Dallas, which went just 3-for-19 from the field in the final quarter. Shawn Marion added 15 points and 12 boards in the loss.
"All the things that we did during the game, we just kind of basically stopped doing," Marion said. "They just turned it up a little bit. We just basically choked."
Dallas led 28-23 after 12 minutes and took a 53-39 lead into the break.
The Mavs' lead swelled to 17 in the third quarter, but the Hawks closed the frame on an 11-5 run to make it 75-64 entering the final frame.
Atlanta outscored Dallas 46-16 in the paint ... The Hawks scored 20 points off 18 Dallas turnovers ... Jose Calderon had 16 points for the Mavs, who also received 18 rebounds from DeJuan Blair.
Nov 29 9:53 PM
- DALLAS: 75
End of 3rd
Nov 29 9:14 PM
- DALLAS: 53
Nov 29 8:34 PM
- DALLAS: 28
End of 1st
Nov 29 8:02 PM
- DALLAS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Nov 29 7:41 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7