Pacers rout Wizards, remain unbeaten at homeNov 30, 2013 - 5:27 AM
George Hill and Roy Hibbert added 13 points apiece for Indiana, which remained unbeaten at Bankers Life Fieldhouse with its ninth consecutive win to open the season.
Marcin Gortat tallied 17 points with 10 rebounds for Washington and Trevor Ariza added 14 points in the setback. John Wall scored just eight points on 4- of-14 shooting.
"Really strong effort by our guys," said Indiana head coach Frank Vogel. "Our guys really stepped up holding John Wall to eight points and the team (Washington) to zero fast break points"
Washington grabbed a 12-11 lead with 6:41 left in the first quarter after an Ariza layup. The Wizards did not lead after that.
Indiana ended the final 6:04 of the first quarter on a 17-2 run to double-up the Wizards heading into the second quarter, 28-14.
Washington opened the second stanza on a 20-10 run that pulled the visitors within four, 38-34, with 4:38 remaining until halftime.
However, David West made a jumper with 2:03 left in the frame to extend Indiana's lead to 43-36 before neither team scored in the final two minutes.
Indiana used a 14-6 run to open the third quarter to separate from Washington and take a commanding 57-42 lead following a Hill 3-pointer with 7:19 left in the period.
"I just feel like we weren't as focused as we needed to be," said Ariza. "That's a good team and you can't do that with good teams."
The Wizards trailed 69-56 heading into the fourth quarter, and the Pacers put the game away early in the frame after C.J. Watson drilled a 3-pointer to cap an 11-1 run which gave Indiana a 23-point advantage.
The Pacers led by as many as 25 before Washington closed to the final margin.
Indiana shot 8-of-10 (80 percent) from the free throw line ... The Pacers outrebounded Washington, 49-37 ... The Wizards were limited to a 6-of-18 success rate from beyond the arc ... Indiana opens a five-game road trip with a game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday ... Washington returns home for a matchup with Atlanta on Saturday.
Nov 29 10:21 PM
- WASHINGTON: 56
End of 3rd
Nov 29 9:42 PM
- WASHINGTON: 36
Nov 29 9:06 PM
- WASHINGTON: 14
End of 1st
Nov 29 8:38 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Nov 29 8:14 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Raptors reach second round for first time 15 years May 2