Drummond, Monroe lead Pistons past BucksDec 5, 2013 - 5:37 AM Detroit Pistons past the Milwaukee Bucks, 105-98, in a Central Division clash on Wednesday.
Drummond and Monroe made sure there was no letdown following Tuesday's win against the Miami Heat, as the duo combined for 42 points and 36 rebounds.
Josh Smith added 17 points and Brandon Jennings provided 17 points and 11 assists against his former team, which fell 1-14 against clubs not named the Boston Celtics.
Ersan Ilyasova led the Bucks with 22 points off the bench, while John Henson chipped in 12 points, nine rebounds and three blocks in the setback.
"We were going into this game really concerned about our matchups. With both Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe, and Josh Smith at the three, we just felt they were too big," Bucks head coach Larry Drew admitted.
Drummond had a nine-point, six-rebound effort in the first quarter to help the Pistons jump out to a 26-19 lead after 12 minutes.
Ilyasova countered with 12 points in the second, including a 3-pointer 4 1/2 minutes in that gave the Bucks their first lead at 33-31.
After trailing at halftime, 50-45, the Pistons turned the game around with a 16-0 flurry early in the third quarter. Monroe accounted for eight points during the surge, and his two free throws at the midway point of the quarter provided Detroit with a 64-54 cushion.
"We talked about getting multiple stops, and once we got multiple stops we could push the ball up a little bit," Pistons head coach Maurice Cheeks said.
The difference grew to 15 on a Kyle Singler bucket in the final minute, though the Bucks scored eight straight to pull within 80-73 early in the fourth.
Milwaukee got as close as five, 98-93, after former Piston Brandon Knight drained a 3-pointer with 1:36 remaining, but Jennings made two free throws and Smith added a clinching layup after Knight rushed another 3-point try.
Drummond had game highs of 24 points and 19 boards ... Jennings was a first- round selection of the Bucks in the 2009 draft ... The Pistons have taken five of the last six meetings, including a 113-94 win in Detroit on Nov. 25 ... The Pistons had 22 second-chance points to Milwaukee's 11 ... Milwaukee's Caron Butler missed his fourth straight game with a bad knee.
Dec 4 10:31 PM
- DETROIT: 80
End of 3rd
Dec 4 9:49 PM
- DETROIT: 45
Dec 4 9:09 PM
- DETROIT: 26
End of 1st
Dec 4 8:36 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Dec 4 8:11 PM
- Bucks say IRS, FBI investigating email scam targeting team May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25
- Irving scores 31, Cavs sweep Pistons with 100-98 win Apr 25
- Spurs, Cavs look to sweep; Celtics, Rockets try to get even Apr 24