Pacers get rare win in San AntonioDec 8, 2013 - 8:15 AM Indiana Pacers needed their best.
Their performance in the second and third quarters was about as good as it gets.
Paul George had 28 points and six assists and David West added 20 points and eight rebounds as the Pacers defeated the San Antonio Spurs 111-100 in a matchup between two of the NBA's best teams.
Indiana outscored the Spurs 67-37 in the second and third frames and snapped an 11-game losing streak in San Antonio.
The Pacers shot 63.2 percent (12-of-19) in the second and 68.4 percent (13- of-19) in the third. Indiana was 9-of-11 from beyond the arc and held San Antonio to a 34.1 percent clip (15-of-44) during those two frames.
Indiana has won nine of its last 10 games.
"They're playing with great confidence and great belief in their basketball team that we can win anywhere, against anyone. It's a fun thing to be a part of," Pacers head coach Frank Vogel said.
Kawhi Leonard had 18 points to lead San Antonio, which has dropped three of its last five.
The Spurs led 28-20 after a quarter of play and led by as many as 13 in the second but back-to-back triples by C.J. Watson and George capped a 14-2 Pacers run to give them a 40-39 edge late in the stanza.
"In the second quarter, they started making some shots and we weren't able to keep up. We went cold, they got that lead, and we couldn't recover," Spurs forward Tim Duncan said.
Indiana took a 52-48 cushion into the break and a 16-4 surge to start the third put the Pacers comfortably in front. George Hill knocked down a pair of triples and West put in six points during the surge, which West finished off with consecutive baskets for a 68-52 Indiana advantage.
The Pacers led 87-65 after three and coasted to the easy win in the fourth.
Indiana's last victory over the Spurs in San Antonio was on Jan. 4, 2002 ... The Pacers outrebounded the Spurs 41-34 ... Indiana shot 53.5 percent (38- of-71) from the floor.
Dec 7 10:46 PM
- INDIANA: 87
SAN ANTONIO: 65
End of 3rd
Dec 7 10:11 PM
- INDIANA: 52
SAN ANTONIO: 48
Dec 7 9:33 PM
- INDIANA: 20
SAN ANTONIO: 28
End of 1st
Dec 7 9:07 PM
- INDIANA: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Dec 7 8:44 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15