Nuggets escape Washington with narrow victoryDec 10, 2013 - 3:29 AM
Kenneth Faried came up with a huge block on John Wall as he attempted a layup with 39.9 seconds left. Faried then hustled down court and slammed the ball home to put Denver up 75-74. The Wizards were unable to answer.
Nate Robinson netted 16 points for the Nuggets, who will host the Jazz Friday.
Wall poured in a game high 20 points and had eight assists, Marcin Gortat scored 16 points with eight rebounds and Trevor Booker had 12 points and 12 rebounds for Washington, which will travel to Atlanta Friday to face the Hawks.
Glen Rice stole the ball with 17.9 seconds to go and dished to Wall but he missed the layup. Garrett Temple rebounded the ball but was stuffed by Chandler as he attempted the putback.
Washington maintained possession with 12.1 to play and Trevor Ariza missed a 3-pointer with 5.9 left. Faried was fouled on the rebound but missed both of his free throws.
With 4.3 seconds left the Wizards had an opportunity to win the game but the ball slipped away from Wall as he attempted to go up for the final shot.
The Wizards opened the fourth quarter with a 7-2 run before Jordan Hamilton drained consecutive 3-pointer's to bring Denver back within two points, 68-66.
Ariza sparked a 9-1 surge for Washington 3:08 into the third, which made the score 58-46 Wizards, to give them a 12-point lead the largest of the game for either team.
Darrell Arthur halted the run with 4:12 left in the third. The basket sparked a 12-2 run to close out the quarter for Denver, with eight points provided by Robinson, to make the score 60-58.
With three minutes left in the first half the Wizards managed a 6-0 run as Wall made two layups around a Booker hook shot. The Wizards led 45-40 at the half.
The Wizards ended the first quarter with a 22-18 lead. Gortat helped close out the first strong, scoring eight of the last 10 points for Washington.
J.J. Hickson added nine points and eight rebounds and Hamilton had eight points and eight rebounds for Denver ... Denver's Ty Lawson missed his second consecutive game with a left hamstring strain ... The Nuggets are 16-5 in the last 21 meetings against the Wizards since the end of the 2002-03 season.
Dec 9 9:20 PM
- DENVER: 58
End of 3rd
Dec 9 8:43 PM
- DENVER: 40
Dec 9 8:03 PM
- DENVER: 18
End of 1st
Dec 9 7:33 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Dec 9 7:13 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Hornets look for first playoff win in 14 seasons vs. Heat Apr 14
- Wizards president Grunfeld stays, fires coach Wittman Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14