Magic end road trip with win in CharlotteDec 12, 2013 - 4:57 AM
Glen Davis also scored 17 with 12 rebounds and Arron Afflalo had 16 points for the Magic, who salvaged a 1-5 road trip with their first win since Nov. 27.
"It would have been easy to let go of this game and want to just get home," Nelson said of wrapping up the road trip. "But you've got to show resolve and be resilient and we did that."
It was just Orlando's second win in 12 road games this season. Nikola Vucevic didn't score after halftime but finished with a double-double of 12 points and 14 rebounds.
The Bobcats had a two-game winning streak snapped to finish a three-game homestand and haven't won three straight since the end of last season.
Gerald Henderson scored 12 points to lead Charlotte and Al Jefferson had 10 points and 11 rebounds.
"Our readiness to start the game was poor," said Bobcats coach Steve Clifford. "And at the end of the game they did a good job, and we got outworked on the glass."
Victor Oladipo scored eight of his 10 points for the Magic in the third quarter, including six in a row to push a one-point halftime lead to seven. The Bobcats tied the score but never took the lead and Davis' 3 in the last seconds gave Orlando a 67-62 edge going into the fourth.
The Magic went 7-for-11 on 3s in the second half after missing all eight of their tries in the first half.
They clung to a four-point lead before Nelson knocked down a long 3 from the top of the key to make it 86-79 with 1:06 remaining. Nelson kept the lead at seven points the next trip down the court on a driving layup and the Magic held on.
Earlier, the teams combined to go 14-of-45 in the first quarter, leading to an 18-16 Bobcats edge.
Charlotte led by as many as six in the second quarter and had a 42-41 lead after Cody Zeller's dunk in the final seconds, but Davis hit a 19-foot jumper from the left corner at the buzzer to give Orlando a one-point halftime lead.
Vucevic had a double-double in the first half for the Magic with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Neither side shot better than 38 percent overall.
Orlando snapped a three-game losing streak to Charlotte and improved to 16-5 in the last 21 games in the series ... The Magic play the Cleveland Cavaliers on Friday in their first home game since Nov. 29 ... The Bobcats are on the road vs. the Indiana Pacers on Friday.
Dec 11 9:18 PM
- ORLANDO: 67
End of 3rd
Dec 11 8:40 PM
- ORLANDO: 43
Dec 11 8:03 PM
- ORLANDO: 16
End of 1st
Dec 11 7:32 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Dec 11 7:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30