Lakers post first win since Bryant's returnDec 15, 2013 - 4:46 AM Los Angeles Lakers.
Bryant netted 21 points and hit a pair of free throws to give the Lakers the lead with 37.1 seconds remaining in an 88-85 win over the Charlotte Bobcats Saturday night.
It was the first time in four tries that Los Angeles won this season with Bryant in the lineup since he returned from his Achilles injury.
"I knew it was coming eventually, it's not a big deal," Bryant said.
The Lakers trailed 85-79 with 2:50 left after Kemba Walker nailed a jumper, but Los Angeles closed the contest on a 9-0 run.
Following Walker's make, Nick Young hit a triple and Bryant drove in for a layup with 1:22 to go to cut the gap to one.
After Bryant made his foul shots, Gerald Henderson was unable to get his right baseline jumper to drop. Al Jefferson secured the offensive rebound, but missed a short jumper following a timeout.
Pau Gasol nailed two free throws with 6.2 ticks on the clock and Ben Gordon's desperation 3-pointer from the right wing came up short to seal the outcome.
"It was one of those games that came down to the last play at the end, but we have to try to do a better job of taking care of some of the minor mistakes we made earlier in the game so it doesn't come down to the last second," Gordon said.
Bryant also tallied eight assists and seven rebounds, while Gasol added 15 points and seven boards.
Walker had 24 points and eight assists for Charlotte, which has dropped three in a row and five of its last seven contests.
The Bobcats led 23-22 after one, but the Lakers took a 44-43 edge into the break.
Walker poured in 11 points in the third as Charlotte took a 68-64 cushion into the final frame.
The Lakers shot just 39 percent (30-of-77) from the floor, but made 21 of their 23 foul shots ... The Bobcats held a 46-30 points in the paint advantage.
Dec 14 9:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 88
End of Regulation
Dec 14 9:15 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 64
End of 3rd
Dec 14 8:40 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 44
Dec 14 8:02 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 22
End of 1st
Dec 14 7:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:38
Dec 14 7:10 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5
- Former Lakers coach Byron Scott 'shocked' over firing May 5