Magic edge BullsDec 17, 2013 - 5:03 AM Orlando Magic held off the Chicago Bulls with an 83-82 win from United Center.
Glen Davis and Nikola Vucevic each posted double-doubles with Davis scoring 14 with 11 rebounds and Vucevic adding 10 points and 11 boards.
Jameer Nelson scored 14 points with seven assists for the Magic, who snapped a five-game losing streak against Chicago.
Luol Deng scored 26 points, while Mike Dunleavy and D.J. Augustin each chipped in with 14 points. Joakim Noah added 13 points with eight rebounds for the Bulls, who have lost five of their last six games.
"I am glad that we pulled it out," said Afflalo. "At the end of the day you get a road win, it's well deserved."
Afflalo hit a jumper midway through the third to give the Magic its largest lead of the game, 63-46.
Chicago ended the third with a 13-4 run and trailed 67-59 heading into the fourth. Augustin, Deng, and Dunleavy all hit triples to ignite the spurt and Taj Gibson capped the run with a driving slam courtesy of Augustine.
The Magic pushed their lead to as many as 11 following a Davis jumper with 5:40 remaining in the contest.
The Bulls proceeded to go on a 12-2 run and make a game of it late. Deng had a chance to send the game to overtime with Chicago down two, but he missed a wide open layup with 2.9 seconds left.
Deng inbounded to Noah and then bolted to the rim when Noah made a perfect back-door pass, but Deng's layup was off the mark.
Davis recovered the rebound and made two at the line to secure the win.
"We got ourselves into a little bit of a hole early," said Dunleavy. "We fought back and battled, but we didn't make enough plays down the stretch."
The Bulls scored the first six points of the night but Orlando followed with a 15-0 run.
Vucevic opened and closed the spurt with a couple of baskets and Davis scored six points to help Orlando to a nine-point advantage with 4:33 to play in the first.
Orlando led 21-14 after one quarter and 43-35 at half.
Carlos Boozer had 13 rebounds ... The game was tied just once and the Magic's largest lead was 17 ... Each team is in action on Wednesday with Chicago visiting Houston and the Magic returning home to host Utah.
Dec 16 10:26 PM
- ORLANDO: 83
End of Regulation
Dec 16 10:25 PM
- ORLANDO: 65
End of 3rd
Dec 16 9:45 PM
- ORLANDO: 43
Dec 16 9:06 PM
- ORLANDO: 21
End of 1st
Dec 16 8:35 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Dec 16 8:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Timberwolves hire Thibodeau as coach/president, Layden is GM Apr 20
- APNewsBreak: Timberwolves talking with Mark Jackson Apr 19
- Steve Kerr enjoying the ride watching Warriors make history Apr 14
- Magic walk away from season disappointed, yet encouraged Apr 14
- Changes could be in store for Bulls after rough season Apr 14