Burke guides Jazz past BobcatsDec 22, 2013 - 5:06 AM Charlotte, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Trey Burke had 10 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter and the Utah Jazz edged the Charlotte Bobcats 88-85 on Saturday night.
Burke nailed a left wing triple to break an 83-83 tie with 2:38 left before Kemba Walker sunk a tough pull-up jumper from the right elbow. Marvin Williams stole a pair of bad passes on back-to-back Charlotte touches, but Burke missed a reverse layup with 29.9 seconds to play.
Walker's driving layup attempt was too strong at the other end and Al Jefferson missed a pair of offensive rebound putback layups before Burke sunk two free throws with 10.2 ticks on the clock to make it 88-85.
"The basketball gods weren't on my side tonight," Jefferson said of the two misses.
Walker and Gerald Henderson then both missed from deep in the closing seconds to seal the outcome for the Jazz.
Gordon Hayward added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Utah, which moved to 2-2 on its five-game road trip.
"I've been saying all year, even with all the struggles we've had early in the year, they won't quit," Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin said.
Jefferson tallied 19 points and 11 boards, while Walker finished with 20 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Bobcats, who had their three- game winning streak snapped.
Charlotte unveiled the team's new primary Hornets logo at halftime. The Bobcats become the Hornets a day after their final game of the season.
Bismack Biyombo's layup to start the fourth pulled Charlotte within 70-68, but the Jazz responded with an 11-4 run. Burke nailed a 3 and Hayward capped the surge with a pair of free throws for an 81-72 Utah spread midway through the frame.
Jefferson, though, had a three-point play and a putback dunk to finish off a 7-0 flurry to whittle the Charlotte deficit to 81-79 with 5:01 left.
Earlier, the Bobcats led 21-17 after a quarter of play and 46-42 at the break. Utah outscored Charlotte 28-20 in the third and took a 70-66 cushion into the final frame.
Derrick Favors had 14 points and nine rebounds for the Jazz ... Jefferson had seven points and six boards in the fourth ... Utah was 10-of-21 from beyond the arc.
Dec 21 9:45 PM
- UTAH: 88
End of Regulation
Dec 21 9:44 PM
- UTAH: 70
End of 3rd
Dec 21 9:11 PM
- UTAH: 42
Dec 21 8:27 PM
- UTAH: 17
End of 1st
Dec 21 8:02 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 11:50
Dec 21 7:41 PM
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29