Stephenson records triple-double as Indiana routs BostonDec 23, 2013 - 4:22 AM Indiana Pacers crushed the Boston Celtics, 106-79, from Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Stephenson now has three triple-doubles this season -- two of which came against the Celtics -- and is the only player in the Association with more than one.
"It really means a lot to me, but I want to thank my teammates for making it easy," said Stephenson. "They knocked down open shots and we make smart plays. When we play together, the sky is the limit for us."
Paul George paced Indiana with 24 points, while Roy Hibbert added 15 points with 12 rebounds and three blocks. Danny Granger contributed 12 points off the bench to build off a five-point effort in his season debut against Houston on Friday.
Avery Bradley scored 13 points, while Jeff Green and Courtney Lee chipped in with 11 points apiece for Boston, which has lost three straight.
"I learned that we have a long way to go," said Boston head coach Brad Stevens, "but we've played better than this. For whatever reason, we didn't play well tonight."
Boston kept it close after one quarter of play, trailing 20-17 after 12 minutes.
Kelly Olynyk's jumper tied the game at 23 with 8:49 left in the second quarter, but that would be as close as Boston would get to a lead for the rest of the night. The Pacers followed with a 19-3 surge to take control of the contest midway through the second. Granger hit two 3s and Stephenson had four assists during the spurt to help Indiana to a 42-26 lead.
The lead swelled to 19 after a George Hill 3 and the Pacers led 52-37 into the break.
The Pacers opened the second half on a 13-4 run highlighted by a no-look pass from George to Hill. George received a pass from Stephenson and faked going up for the shot, dishing instead to a trailing Hill for a layup.
George went on a personal 6-0 run later in the quarter to extend the cushion to 71-44. He was fouled while making a 3 and converted the free throw for a four-point play. George would add a layup less than a minute later to stake Indiana to its largest lead of the night.
Stephenson was stuck on nine points, 10 boards and 10 helpers midway through the fourth quarter and missed six straight shots before finally getting a wing 3 to fall to secure the triple-double.
Indiana held Boston to 32-of-84 (38.1 percent) shooting ... 12 players scored for the Pacers ... The Pacers had 28 assists as a team and edged the Celtics on the boards 53-41 ... The Celtics did, however, win the battle of the blocks as the Celtics blocked 10 shots compared to 5 for Indiana ... Indiana outscored Boston 50-22 in the paint.
Dec 22 8:18 PM
- BOSTON: 58
End of 3rd
Dec 22 7:48 PM
- BOSTON: 37
Dec 22 7:07 PM
- BOSTON: 17
End of 1st
Dec 22 6:33 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Dec 22 6:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5