Turner, Sixers take down NuggetsJan 2, 2014 - 7:04 AM Denver Nuggets.
Thaddeus Young contributed a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds, while Michael Carter-Williams flirted with a triple-double, scoring 16 points with nine rebounds and six assists in the win, Philadelphia's second straight on the road following a 13-game skid on the highway.
Spencer Hawes chipped in with 13 points and eight boards for the Sixers.
"You hope things slowly come together and you just stay the course," said Sixers coach Brett Brown. "I'm happy for them especially on the defensive side of things."
J.J. Hickson and Ty Lawson each deposited double-doubles with Hickson scoring a team-high 19 points with 11 rebounds and Lawson giving 15 points with 11 assists for the Nuggets.
Wilson Chandler netted 16 points on 4-of-7 shooting from beyond the arc in the loss, Denver's eighth straight.
"I feel like we have reached rock bottom," Hickson said. "We've lost to some pretty bad teams."
The Sixers led 7-4 early in the first when the Nuggets used a 9-0 run as Hickson scored six points to spearhead the spurt.
The Nuggets led 30-24 after one quarter of play.
Philadelphia opened the second on an 11-2 run to grab a 35-32 lead following a three-point play from Carter-Williams.
The game was tight throughout most of the stanza until the Sixers closed out the final 3:26 on a 13-2 surge to take a 68-56 lead into the locker room.
Denver closed to within seven late in the third and much like the second frame, the Sixers ended the quarter on a run.
Philadelphia finished the final 2:02 on a 9-2 swing for a 95-81 lead heading to the fourth.
Chandler buried a corner 3 to cut the deficit to single digits, 106-97, with 3:09 on hte clock.
That would be as close as the Nuggets would get as Carter-Williams answered with a jumper from the elbow as the shot clock expired to push the lead back to 11 and help the Sixers to their first winning streak since the opening week of the season.
Denver shot just 5-for-25 (20 percent) from deep ... Randy Foye and Kenneth Faried scored 14 and 12, respectively, for the Nuggets ... Lavoy Allen scored 13 points off the bench for the Sixers, while James Anderson contributed 12 off the pine in the win ... There were a total of 53 fouls committed between both teams ... Denver was 25-for-35 (71.4 percent) from the free throw line and Philadelphia converted 19-of-28 (67.9 percent) attempts from the stripe.
Jan 1 11:25 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 95
End of 3rd
Jan 1 10:51 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 68
Jan 1 10:13 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 24
End of 1st
Jan 1 9:41 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Jan 1 9:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- 76ers counting on free agents, draft picks for better future Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14