Blazers make 21 triples in win over BobcatsJan 3, 2014 - 6:50 AM Portland, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - The Portland Trail Blazers tied the franchise single-game 3-point mark they set less than a month ago in a 134-104 dismantling of the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday.
Damian Lillard shot 6-of-6 from behind the arc and Wesley Matthews added five from long range as the Blazers matched the 21 triples they made against Philadelphia on Dec. 14.
Lillard finished with 24 points and seven assists, Matthews netted 25 points and LaMarcus Aldridge donated 10 points and 15 rebounds in the club's second straight win.
"I'm not going to lie to you. I felt on when I woke up from my nap today," Matthews said.
Chris Douglas-Roberts had a team-high 20 points for the Bobcats, losers of five straight.
"If we're not going to commit to defense and rebounding, then we're limited in how good we can be," Bobcats head coach Steve Clifford said.
The Blazers hit their stride just three minutes into the game. Lillard broke a 9-9 tie with a pull-up jumper, and a string of four 3-pointers in five possessions suddenly had Portland on top by 14 at the midway point.
The hosts wound up hitting 7-of-8 from behind the arc in the opening quarter and were in front, 39-21, going into the second.
Another 10-0 run early in the second stretched the difference to 23, and it was a 70-49 margin at the break. Lillard and Matthews combined for seven of the team's 12 3-pointers over the first two quarters.
The only drama in the second half was whether Portland would post the 3-point record, but Meyers Leonard missed one in the final minute that would have sealed it.
The Blazers became the first team in NBA history to make 20-plus 3-pointers twice in the same season ... Portland has made at least eight 3-pointers in eight straight games for the first time in franchise history ... Mo Williams had 15 points and 10 assists off Portland's bench ... Charlotte will close out a five-game road trip on Saturday at Sacramento ... The Bobcats are winless in six straight trips to Portland.
Jan 3 12:13 AM
- CHARLOTTE: 77
End of 3rd
Jan 2 11:43 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 49
Jan 2 11:04 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 21
End of 1st
Jan 2 10:32 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 0
1st Quarter - 11:52
Jan 2 10:11 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 10
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 10