Rockets cruise past CelticsJan 14, 2014 - 4:29 AM
Jeremy Lin recorded 16 points and nine assists, James Harden netted 16 points as well and Chandler Parsons returned from a three-game absence to add 14 points for the Rockets, who improved to 2-1 on their four-game road trip.
"It was really good tonight. I thought it was going to be a lot more sore," Parsons said of his injured knee that kept him sidelined.
Avery Bradley poured in 24 points and Jerryd Bayless chipped in with 17, but the Celtics still dropped their ninth straight game -- the club's longest skid in six seasons.
Boston was outscored in the paint, 58-36, and shot just 37.6 percent from the field.
The Rockets missed 15 of their first 20 shots and found themselves down by nine, 21-12, nine minutes in before discovering their usual scoring stroke.
Houston shot 13-of-21 from the field the rest of the half, and a 15-6 run to close the second quarter gave the visitors a 52-43 lead at the break.
Harden and Parsons hit back-to-back 3-pointers early in the third, stretching Houston's lead to 62-45, and the Rockets cruised into the final frame with an 84-65 cushion.
The closest the Celtics got in the fourth was seven after Bayless's mid-range jumper got them within 97-90 with 2:48 remaining.
Howard split three consecutive trips to the foul line to make it a double- digit game again with 2:12 remaining, and the Rockets held on from there.
"I thought we were good early, and I thought we were good late, and in the middle we were dominated, really the better part of the second and third quarter," Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said.
Terrence Jones posted 12 points and 12 rebounds for Houston ... Howard recorded five alley-oop dunks ... Houston pummeled Boston, 109-85, on Nov. 19 and swept the two-game season series for the first time since the 2010-11 season ... Boston last lost nine in a row during a franchise-worst 18-game slide from Jan. 7 - Feb. 11, 2007 ... Houston will close its trek Wednesday at New Orleans.
Jan 13 9:52 PM
- HOUSTON: 84
End of 3rd
Jan 13 9:12 PM
- HOUSTON: 52
Jan 13 8:32 PM
- HOUSTON: 19
End of 1st
Jan 13 8:03 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Jan 13 7:41 PM
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28