Durant-less Thunder rout CelticsJan 25, 2014 - 4:44 AM
Durant, who has scored 30-plus points in nine straight games, injured his right shoulder in Wednesday's win over the Spurs. It was the first game in Thunder franchise history without Durant or Russell Westbrook in the lineup.
"Going into the game I knew they were going to accept the challenge," said Thunder head coach Scott Brooks. "One of the things about our team, we play hard every night. We take pride in playing hard no matter who's on the floor."
Jeremy Lamb provided 19 points off the bench and Reggie Jackson tallied 14 points and eight assists in OKC's sixth straight win.
"We just moved the ball, we kept attacking, got a lot of open shots on ball movement," said Lamb.
Former Thunder forward Jeff Green paced Boston with 16 points while Rajon Rondo returned from a one-game rest and dished out a season-high eight assists.
"Collectively, we were not engaged defensively together," said Boston coach Brad Stevens.
Oklahoma City clamped down defensively in the middle two quarters, outscoring Boston 50-31 over that stretch while holding the hosts to just 12-of-39 shooting.
The Thunder led 50-46 at halftime and built a double-digit cushion in the early stages of the third. After a Brandon Bass layup made it 66-55 at 6:20, the Celtics missed eight shots in a row and found themselves down 22 points on Lamb's jumper with a minute left in the quarter.
Boston never made it competitive after that.
Earlier, the Celtics assisted on 10 of their 11 baskets in the first quarter. Rondo and Phil Pressey had four each, while Gerald Wallace went for eight points on just three shots to help Boston to a 28-27 lead after one.
Perry Jones made his third career start in Durant's place and scored 10 points ... Thabo Sefolosha had 13 points for the Thunder ... The Thunder improved to 10-6 all-time without Durant ... OKC has won six of seven over the Celtics ... Boston has lost 13 of its last 15 overall.
Jan 24 9:44 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 77
End of 3rd
Jan 24 9:17 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 50
Jan 24 8:34 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 27
End of 1st
Jan 24 8:06 PM
- OKLAHOMA CITY: 0
1st Quarter - 11:35
Jan 24 7:41 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19