Jazz hold off WizardsJan 26, 2014 - 6:24 AM Utah Jazz held off the Washington Wizards, 104-101, at EnergySolutions Arena.
Gordon Hayward had 16 points and Alec Burks scored 15, as the Jazz snapped a two-game skid. Derrick Favors tallied 11 points and 14 rebounds, while Trey Burke finished with 12 points and eight assists.
Trevor Ariza scored 23 and Nene ended with 19 for the Wizards, who also received 14 points and 11 boards from Marcin Gortat. John Wall, who was limited to 13 points on 4-of-14 shooting, missed a desperation 3-pointer at the final horn.
"I thought Trey and the guys playing him made him work for everything he got." Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said of Wall. "He had some good looks, but they made him work the whole night. He's a tough player and he is a really good player in this league. For our young guys, especially Trey, to see the different talent you have to play on a nightly basis and the adjustments you have to make especially on the defensive end and then offense will come from there. I thought he did a good job of making him work."
Utah was ahead as many as eight points in the fourth quarter, but missed shots and a critical turnover gave the Wizards a chance to steal a win. Ariza hit a 3-point shot with 52.9 seconds left for a 101-98 margin.
Bradley Beal, though missed a potential game-tying shot after Burke missed a running back attempt. Hayward then threw a poor pass that rolled to the other end of the court and out of bounds with 21.5 seconds left.
Ariza's 3-point try from the top of the arc hit nothing and Alec Burks made one free throw with 10 seconds remaining.
Wall's bank shot from beyond the arc made it 102-101 with 3.6 seconds left, but Hayward made two from the charity stripe a second later before Wall's attempt from inside midcourt clanked off the rim.
Led by 11 points from Ariza, Washington held a 29-21 lead after 12 minutes, but Utah used a 15-2 spurt in the second to tie game at 45. Washington went into the half up 53-51 and the game was tied at 77 going to the fourth.
"We stopped playing our style of basketball started playing their style, and they took advantage of that," Ariza said. "We came out lackadaisical again, second half. We stopped playing in our pace. We started to let them control the game. Everything changed from there."
Utah has won the last four meetings ... It was just the third loss in the last 11 road games for the Wizards ... Utah is 22-4 in its last 26 games against Washington in Salt Lake City ... Beal had 14 points and eight assists.
Jan 25 11:19 PM
- WASHINGTON: 101
End of Regulation
Jan 25 11:19 PM
- WASHINGTON: 77
End of 3rd
Jan 25 10:40 PM
- WASHINGTON: 53
Jan 25 10:00 PM
- WASHINGTON: 29
End of 1st
Jan 25 9:34 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Jan 25 9:12 PM
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Hornets look for first playoff win in 14 seasons vs. Heat Apr 14
- Wizards president Grunfeld stays, fires coach Wittman Apr 14