Warriors hit a Wall as Wizards pull out road winJan 29, 2014 - 6:57 AM
David Lee drove in for the game-tying bucket to make it 85-85 with 1:47 to go, but John Wall knocked down a go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:28 left to give Washington an 88-85 edge.
A bit later, after Martell Webster missed a jumper, the Warriors had one last chance to tie with 6.1 ticks remaining, but Trevor Ariza defended Stephen Curry well beyond the arc and his left-handed triple from the right wing was way off the mark.
Make him drive to the basket. I'm glad I Stay down no matter what
"Just stay down no matter what, no matter what he does," Ariza said of defending Curry. "Contest and just let whatever happens happen"
Wall added 15 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three steals for the Wizards, who have alternated wins and losses over their last seven games.
Curry netted 23 points, but was just 8-of-23 from the field for Golden State, which has dropped five of its last seven tilts.
"Just a bad night and a disappointing loss for us," Warriors head coach Mark Jackson said. "We played at their level."
Curry's step-back jumper staked Golden State to a 49-39 with 1:20 left in the opening half, but Washington responded with a 20-2 run that bridged into the third quarter.
The Wizards scored the last six points of the second as Wall's driving layup with a second to go got the Wizards within 49-45 entering the break.
Beal's 3-pointer and pull-up jumper on back-to-back possessions capped the burst and made it 59-51 in favor of the Wizards. Beal had 11 points during the swing.
Golden State, though, answered with 12 straight points as two Curry free throws gave the hosts a 63-59 edge.
Washington took a 66-65 lead into the fourth, where Beal finished off a 9-3 swing to start the frame for a 75-68 advantage. But Golden State scored six straight to get within 75-74 with 8:30 left.
Earlier, the Wizards led 24-22 after a quarter of play.
The Warriors shot 37.5 percent (30-of-80) from the floor, while Washington shot 37.8 percent (34-of-80) from the field ... The Wizards tallied 21 points off 19 Golden State turnovers.
Jan 29 12:49 AM
- WASHINGTON: 88
GOLDEN STATE: 85
End of Regulation
Jan 29 12:49 AM
- WASHINGTON: 66
GOLDEN STATE: 65
End of 3rd
Jan 29 12:15 AM
- WASHINGTON: 45
GOLDEN STATE: 49
Jan 28 11:34 PM
- WASHINGTON: 24
GOLDEN STATE: 22
End of 1st
Jan 28 11:08 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
GOLDEN STATE: 0
1st Quarter - 11:49
Jan 28 10:42 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19