Bulls top short-handed SpursJan 30, 2014 - 7:07 AM San Antonio Spurs, 96-86, on Wednesday night.
Carlos Boozer tallied 16 points and 12 rebounds, while Joakim Noah added 10 points, 10 boards, eight assists and four blocks for Chicago, which has won five of their last seven games.
"We're taking steps in the right direction," Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich said.
Tony Parker had 20 points and six assists and Tim Duncan registered 17 points and 12 rebounds for the suddenly-sputtering Spurs, who have dropped a season- high three straight.
San Antonio announced earlier Wednesday that veteran guard Manu Ginobili will miss 3-to-4 weeks with a left hamstring strain. The Spurs are already without key contributors Kawhi Leonard (finger), Danny Green (finger) and Tiago Splitter (shoulder).
"I think with all these guys out, our consistency just isn't there. On both ends, we can't sustain for the periods of time that we need to," Duncan said.
After Parker hit a technical free throw to complete an 8-2 Spurs spurt to give them a 52-51 edge a little past the midway point of the third, the Bulls responded with a 12-3 surge.
Jimmy Butler had eight points during the swing, which was capped on his three- point play for a 63-55 Bulls cushion late in the third.
Chicago took a 68-61 advantage into the fourth, where it netted eight of the frame's first 10 points to open up a 76-63 spread.
The Bulls led by as many as 15 down the stretch.
Chicago held a 21-15 margin after a quarter of play and led 40-36 at the break.
The Bulls netted 16 points off 19 San Antonio turnovers ... Chicago outrebounded San Antonio, 39-31 ... D.J. Augustin and Taj Gibson had 15 points apiece for Chicago.
Jan 29 11:58 PM
- CHICAGO: 68
SAN ANTONIO: 61
End of 3rd
Jan 29 11:25 PM
- CHICAGO: 40
SAN ANTONIO: 36
Jan 29 10:41 PM
- CHICAGO: 21
SAN ANTONIO: 15
End of 1st
Jan 29 10:35 PM
- CHICAGO: 2
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Jan 29 9:43 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11