Sullinger and Celtics down KingsFeb 8, 2014 - 5:49 AM
Wallace tallied eight points, 12 rebounds and nine assists for Boston, which was without starting backcourt Rajon Rondo (knee soreness) and Avery Bradley (ankle). Jerryd Bayless and Jeff Green chipped in with 19 and 17 points, respectively, to help the Celtics to a third straight win.
Sullinger is the second Boston player to surpass the 30-point mark this season. Green has done so three times.
"I think we're doing a better job looking for him (Sullinger)," said Boston head coach Brad Stevens. "He's capable and I'm not saying that you have to get a double-double every day but he's darn near capable of doing that."
DeMarcus Cousins matched Sullinger with 31 points and 16 rebounds and Isaiah Thomas scored 24 points as Sacramento's brief two-game winning streak came to a halt. Derrick Williams added 11 points and 12 boards.
"It was tough, lot of mistakes tonight," said Cousins. "I don't think I came in focused tonight either. I blame myself for tonight's loss."
The Kings were also ailing for this one. Starters Rudy Gay (flu) and Marcus Thornton (hip) missed the contest.
Led by Cousins' 13 points, the Kings jumped out to a 29-21 advantage after the first quarter. It was all Boston the rest of the way.
Kelly Olynyk scored six straight during a 10-0 Boston surge to open the second quarter. The rookie from Gonzaga then stepped out and deposited a 3 from the right wing, but the second and third quarters came to an end with neither team gaining any advantage.
The fourth belonged to the home team. Bayless hit a pair of 3s around a Sullinger dunk to open up an 84-73 lead at 8:22. Sullinger scored the next five points while Sacramento went ice cold, missing eight straight from the floor. The lead reached 18 and the Celtics coasted to the finish line.
Olynyk had 11 points, nine rebounds and five assists off Boston's bench ... The Celtics look to match a season-best four game winning streak when they host the Mavericks on Sunday ... The Kings shot a scorching 22-of-24 from the charity stripe ... Both teams had 15 offensive rebounds.
Feb 7 9:50 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 69
End of 3rd
Feb 7 9:21 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 46
Feb 7 8:40 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 29
End of 1st
Feb 7 8:05 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Feb 7 7:41 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28