Mills powers Spurs over BobcatsFeb 9, 2014 - 5:52 AM
Tim Duncan tallied 16 points and 13 rebounds, while Nando De Colo added 15 points for San Antonio, which has won four of its last five games.
"I thought all the young guys that don't play much and played they way they did was really impressive," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "They were outtalented and outsized, but they gave everything they could and did a lot of great things out on the court. And of course Patty Mills was great, he was unconscious tonight."
Al Jefferson recorded 26 points and nine rebounds and Gerald Henderson chipped in 23 points for the Bobcats, who have dropped two of their last three.
"I thought our effort and approach all day was good. We just didn't play to the level we needed to on defense," said Bobcats coach Steve Clifford.
The game was tied at 82 before the Spurs used a 12-4 run to seize control.
Jeff Ayres' reverse layup and jumper on back-to-back possessions preceded a Mills jumper, which staked San Antonio to an 88-82 edge with 6:19 to play. A few minutes later Mills got his floater to drop and Duncan drained a pair of free throws to cap the surge and extend the margin to 94-86.
A quick 6-1 Charlotte swing whittled the deficit to 97-93 with 1:01 remaining and a Ramon Sessions layup cut the gap to 100-97 with 10.4 seconds on the clock. De Colo then hit two free throws before Henderson nailed a triple to make it 102-100 with 2.9 ticks left.
De Colo, though, made a pair of game-sealing free throws at the other end.
Earlier, Charlotte raced out to an 18-6 lead, but the Spurs answered with a 15-5 run to cut the margin to 23-21.
The Bobcats led 25-21 after a quarter of play, 42-41 at the break and were up 70-69 going into the final frame.
The Spurs shot 46.8 percent (36-of-77) from the floor and knocked down 24- of-28 (85.7 percent) foul shots ... Tony Parker had nine points and five assists for San Antonio ... There were 15 lead changes and 12 ties in the game ... San Antonio has won six straight and 12 of the last 13 meetings.
Feb 8 9:24 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 104
End of Regulation
Feb 8 9:23 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 69
End of 3rd
Feb 8 8:44 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 41
Feb 8 8:03 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 21
End of 1st
Feb 8 7:34 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Feb 8 7:12 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11