Jennings guides Pistons past NuggetsFeb 9, 2014 - 5:56 AM
Josh Smith totaled 30 points, 10 rebounds, a season-best eight assists to go with four steals. Andre Drummond notched 18 points and 15 boards for the Pistons, who have won back-to-back contests.
"I think we matched the intensity that they were putting forth on our defensive end and we were aggressive, grabbing offensive rebounds and attacking the basket," Drummond said.
Randy Foye scored 25 and J.J. Hickson finished with 15 points and 16 rebounds for the Nuggets, who have lost the first two on a four-game road trip. Wilson Chandler had 20 points, but Denver's six-game winning streak against Detroit came to an end.
Chandler's 3-pointer widened Denver's lead to 14-4 in the game's first 3 1/2 minutes. Detroit, though, used a 12-3 spurt to end the first quarter with a 30-29 edge.
The Pistons went on a 13-3 run to conclude the first half with a 65-61 edge. Jennings had 11 of those points.
Detroit scored eight in a row during the third quarter to widen the gap to 87-73. Drummond capped the burst with an offensive rebound and jam, and the difference stood at 97-86 going to the fourth.
Denver was within 108-102 at the midway point of the final quarter, but a pair of turnovers in the ensuing sequences contributed to the downfall for the visitors. Rodney Stuckey's jam provided a 114-102 cushion with 3 1/2 minutes remaining.
"As a team, as a group, we have to do a better job of fighting. We can make shots, we can hit threes, but when it comes down to getting stops, we have to do it,"Foye said.
Stuckey had 19 points and Greg Monroe scored 14 for the Pistons, who shot 51 percent from the field ... Denver went 12-of-22 from the foul line ... Detroit has won its last four home games.
Feb 8 9:52 PM
- DENVER: 86
End of 3rd
Feb 8 9:21 PM
- DENVER: 61
Feb 8 8:38 PM
- DENVER: 61
Feb 8 8:37 PM
- DENVER: 29
End of 1st
Feb 8 8:06 PM
- DENVER: 3
1st Quarter - 11:40
Feb 8 7:41 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25
- Irving scores 31, Cavs sweep Pistons with 100-98 win Apr 25