Wizards take care of KingsFeb 10, 2014 - 5:25 AM
Marcin Gortat finished with 17 points and eight rebounds and Bradley Beal scored 16 for the Wizards, who had dropped two straight entering the contest.
John Wall scored 12 points and Kevin Seraphin added 10 in the win.
"I'm happy with the win, but won't accept the way we played. I don't think we played a good game. That's a game we should have won by 30 points," said Wizards forward Martell Webster.
With the victory, the Wizards improved to 25-25. It is the ninth time this season the Wizards have reached .500.
"We're back to .500. We're better than .500," Wizards coach Randy Wittman said.
Isaiah Thomas scored a game-high 30 points and handed out eight assists and DeMarcus Cousins scored 14 points and pulled down 12 boards for the Kings, who lost for the second straight time.
Thomas, who scored 12 points in the opening quarter, gave the Kings a 20-17 lead with 3:46 left in the first. A 9-2 run from the Wizards, capped with a Seraphin hook shot, made it 28-22. Derrick Williams made a pair of free throws late in the quarter to make it 28-24 entering the second.
Washington's lead swelled to 13 points, 39-26, with just under four minutes played in the second. Sacramento managed to make it a two possession game, 41-36, moments later, but the Wizards outscored the Kings 16-9 to take a 57-45 lead into the break.
Washington's edge reached 17 points several times in the third, the last coming with 6:14 left in the stanza, but a 14-8 run had the Kings within 75-64 entering the fourth.
A 9-2 burst to open the fourth brought Sacramento within four points, 77-73, after Ben McLemore's three-point player with 8:24 remaining.
The Wizards opened up a 14-5 burst from there, though, and the Kings never got closer than eight the rest of the way.
"I just want a consistent effort. We got back in the game because we played the right way. When you use so much energy to get back in the game, you can't close it out. I am very proud of how we played in the second half," said Kings coach Michael Malone.
Wall has at least one steal in 13 straight games ... Washington scored 26 points off 18 Sacramento turnovers ... The Kings won the battle of the boards by a 49-38 margin ... Cousins had six offensive rebounds ... McLemore finished with 12 points for the Kings.
Feb 9 8:32 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 64
End of 3rd
Feb 9 7:56 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 45
Feb 9 7:11 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 24
End of 1st
Feb 9 6:34 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Feb 9 6:13 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20