Jefferson helps Bobcats beat PelicansFeb 22, 2014 - 5:09 AM
Cody Zeller and Kemba Walker scored 13 points apiece, while the latter dished out eight helpers for the Bobcats, who have won three straight. Zeller went 7- for-8 from the foul line.
Anthony Davis tallied 18 points, 13 rebounds and four blocks for the Pelicans, who have lost four of five. Brian Roberts and Eric Gordon tallied 20 and 14 points, respectively.
"We played against a pretty good team defensively and we scored 55 points on them in the second half. Our gameplan was sound when we executed it, we gave ourselves a chance to compete tonight," said Pelicans head coach Monty Williams.
Charlotte led by one with two minutes on the clock before an athletic left- handed layup by Walker extended the lead to 84-81. Roberts, however, answered with a trey on the other end to knot the game.
Jefferson was then fouled by Davis with 39.3 seconds on the clock, but only made one free throw to give his team an 85-84 advantage. Walker also went 1- of-2 from the line on the next possession to make it a two-point game.
Gordon drove to the right block after a timeout and was fouled by Jefferson with 11 seconds left. He only made one free throw, however, to keep the Bobcats ahead. Walker then went 4-for-4 from the charity stripe down the stretch to put the Pelicans away.
The Bobcats led 25-17 after the first 12 minutes on the strength of 14 points from Jefferson.
"The thing is, is his efficiency. I mean, in the tilt tonight he's been getting alot of assists also. I just can't imagine many guys are playing alot better then him in the league. He's playing great," said Bobcats head coach Steve Clifford about Jefferson.
Charlotte stretched its advantage to double digits in the second and led 43-32 at the break. The Bobcats connected on 7-of-14 free throws in the first half, while the Pelicans made just 1-of-2.
The Pelicans pulled within six several times during the third quarter, but failed to get any closer in the period.
The Pelicans went 8-for-11 from the stripe, while Charlotte went 25-for-36 from the line ... Charlotte outrebounded New Orleans, 47-38 ... The Pelicans face Washington on Saturday ... The Bobcats host the Grizzlies on Saturday.
Feb 21 9:30 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 59
End of 3rd
Feb 21 8:42 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 32
Feb 21 8:02 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 17
End of 1st
Feb 21 7:33 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Feb 21 7:10 PM
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- LeBron 'not fond' of NBA's reviews of officiating Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29