Nene lifts Wizards past PelicansFeb 23, 2014 - 6:49 AM New Orleans Pelicans 94-93 on Saturday.
After Pelicans star Anthony Davis made a pair of free throws with seven seconds left to give the visitors a one-point edge, John Wall took it upon himself to make a play at the other end. Out of a timeout, Wall penetrated and got multiple defenders in the air before dropping off a pass to Nene, whose one-handed slam went through the rim with 0.3 seconds showing.
Marcin Gortat notched 16 points and 10 boards while Wall finished with 10 and 12 assists in Washington's fifth straight triumph over the Pelicans. Andre Miller, acquired from the Denver Nuggets on Thursday, recorded five points and three assists off the bench in his debut.
"Give credit to our bigs," said Wall. "They really stepped up. We give them credit for winning this game. We all locked down defensively as a team and made the big plays."
Davis led New Orleans with 26 points and 11 rebounds, while Anthony Morrow shot 7-for-8 and hit all three attempts from 3-point land to contribute 18 points off the bench.
"That one hurt," said Pelicans head coach Monty Williams. "Like I told our guys, there's no other way to put it. It just hurt."
The Pelicans controlled the early portion of the fourth quarter, turning a 66- all tie heading into the period into a five-point lead after Austin Rivers' layup with 8:44 to play.
Washington kept things close but did not reclaim the lead until the final minute. Wall's driving layup made it 92-91 with 26.9 seconds to play before Davis' late free throws restored New Orleans' advantage.
Earlier, Nene and Davis scored 10 points apiece during a balanced first quarter, but Washington shot 58.8 percent and led 24-21 after 12 minutes.
The score was knotted at 43-43 at halftime and 66-66 heading into the final frame.
The contest featured 22 lead changes and seven ties ... Martell Webster had 12 points off the bench for Washington. Bradley Beal scored 11 ... New Orleans has lost five of six overall.
Feb 22 9:32 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 93
End of Regulation
Feb 22 9:32 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 66
End of 3rd
Feb 22 8:50 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 43
Feb 22 8:08 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 21
End of 1st
Feb 22 7:37 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Feb 22 7:13 PM
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 28
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27