Wizards send Magic to 16th straight road lossFeb 26, 2014 - 4:27 AM
Trevor Ariza added 22 points, including 12 in the third quarter, and Bradley Beal and Marcin Gortat both scored 21. Gortat added 10 rebounds for a double- double as Washington won a fourth straight game for the first time since Feb. 4-11, 2013.
The Wizards led by as many as 17 a day after learning Nene would miss around six weeks with a sprained MCL in his left knee.
"I thought we came out really energized. We got great performances from everybody," said Wizards coach Randy Wittman.
Victor Oladipo had 26 points and Nikola Vucevic scored 19 with 14 rebounds for the Magic, who have lost a franchise record-tying 16 straight road games.
Wall had 13 points in the first quarter and the Wizards shot almost 60 percent for a 35-31 lead. They led by as many as nine late in the quarter before Jameer Nelson hit a 3 for the Magic.
Back-to-back 3s by Andre Miller and Al Harrington keyed a 12-3 run to start the second quarter, pushing Washington's lead to 13. It reached 14 later on before Mo Harkless scored the last seven points of a 12-2 Orlando spurt.
Wall scored the next five by himself to give the Wizards a 62-53 lead at halftime.
"They were getting whatever they wanted in the whole first half," said Harkless.
Ariza had 12 in the third quarter and Washington's lead was a high as 17. It was 93-80 going into the fourth. It was never closer than eight after that.
"We were focused right from the start," said Wittman. "Each time we got a 10-, 12-, 13-point lead, they made a little run at us and we stopped it and quickly got back on track."
The Magic haven't won a road game since Dec. 16 -- five days before the start of college bowl season. They lost 16 in a row on the road from Jan. 27 to March 21, 2006. That streak was snapped in Philadelphia, where Orlando will play on Wednesday.
Harkless scored 22 ... The Wizards play at Toronto on Thursday ... The Magic have lost five of their last six overall.
Feb 25 9:19 PM
- ORLANDO: 80
End of 3rd
Feb 25 8:42 PM
- ORLANDO: 53
Feb 25 8:04 PM
- ORLANDO: 31
End of 1st
Feb 25 7:40 PM
- ORLANDO: 2
1st Quarter - 11:45
Feb 25 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21