Blazers thrive from beyond the arc, top NuggetsNov 2, 2013 - 5:23 AM
The Blazers nailed 14 triples in their 113-98 triumph over the Denver Nuggets to snap their nine-game losing skid at Pepsi Center.
Portland was 14-of-22 (63.6 percent) overall from beyond the arc. Nicolas Batum was 5-of-8, Wesley Matthews connected on all four of his attempts and Damian Lillard was 3-of-4 from deep.
LaMarcus Aldridge had 25 points and nine rebounds, Matthews tallied 21 points and 12 boards, Batum also poured in 21, and Lillard finished with 18 points and seven assists.
"I like the way we came out, I liked our demeanor at the defensive end for the entire game," Blazers head coach Terry Stotts said.
Nate Robinson had 24 points and seven rebounds off the bench to lead the Nuggets, who had their 23-game regular-season home winning streak snapped. Denver went an NBA best 38-3 at home a year ago.
"Our team looked very tired," Nuggets head coach Brian Shaw said. "They just looked winded. They looked like they were the team that played in altitude and we were the team that was coming in on the second night of a back-to-back."
After Robinson's layup pulled the Nuggets within 31-30 early in the second, Portland countered with an 18-6 run to seize control.
Lillard nailed a pair of threes and registered a 3-point play among his 11 points during the surge, which was capped on a Batum triple for a 49-36 spread.
The Blazers took a 64-50 lead into the break and Matthews scored the first nine points of a 20-6 burst in the third to stake Portland to its largest advantage of 89-63.
The Blazers led 91-71 after three, but Denver got within 101-94 with 4:57 left before Portland answered with eight straight points to put the game away.
Portland outscored Denver 40-27 in the second quarter ... Portland had seven turnovers, while Denver gave the ball away just five times ... Ty Lawson had 21 points, six assists and five rebounds for the Nuggets.
Nov 1 11:27 PM
- PORTLAND: 91
End of 3rd
Nov 1 10:52 PM
- PORTLAND: 64
Nov 1 10:10 PM
- PORTLAND: 24
End of 1st
Nov 1 9:38 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Quarter - 11:36
Nov 1 9:16 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11