Spurs keep slumping Nuggets winlessNov 6, 2013 - 6:31 AM
After losing just three games at Pepsi Center all of last season, Denver has already dropped its first two at home this year.
Tony Parker had 24 points and six assists and the San Antonio Spurs beat the Nuggets, 102-94, on Tuesday.
Tim Duncan added 17 points, eight rebounds and eight assists for San Antonio, which improved to 3-1 on the young season. Kawhi Leonard netted 14 points in the triumph.
"I thought our defense was much better," Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said. "The defense fueled the offense a little bit."
Ty Lawson tallied 20 points and eight assists for the Nuggets, who are winless through their first three tilts after winning 57 games a year ago.
Denver turned the ball over 23 times.
"We just lost track of the game plan," Lawson said. "We have to take care of the ball."
Denver led by as many as 13 in the third, but held just an 82-81 edge with 8:51 left in the fourth before the Spurs embarked on a 12-2 run to seize control of the contest.
Layups by Boris Diaw and Danny Green preceded Parker's jumper, which capped the burst and gave the Spurs a 92-84 advantage midway through the fourth.
Denver never got within less than six the rest of the way.
The Nuggets led 27-24 after a quarter of play and a 12-0 sprint in the second staked them a 41-29 advantage before they entered the break with a 52-43 cushion.
Denver took a 78-72 spread into the final frame.
The Spurs tallied 27 points off Denver's giveaways ... Denver forward Anthony Randolph did not play due to a left ankle sprain ... San Antonio was 18-of-20 from the foul line.
Nov 5 11:21 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 72
End of 3rd
Nov 5 10:49 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 43
Nov 5 10:06 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 24
End of 1st
Nov 5 9:34 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 2
1st Quarter - 11:39
Nov 5 9:11 PM
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12