Parker wakes up in fourth to lift Spurs past SunsNov 7, 2013 - 6:05 AM
Parker netted 15 of his 20 points in the final frame, including a go-ahead jumper with 31.9 seconds left, to lift the San Antonio Spurs to a 99-96 triumph over the Phoenix Suns.
Parker was 2-of-8 from the field through the first three stanzas but made all seven of his shots in the fourth. He scored 15 of San Antonio's last 16 points.
The Frenchman's left elbow jumper staked the Spurs a 97-96 advantage before Eric Bledsoe slipped as he rose for a pull-up shot in the paint with 19.9 ticks to play.
Parker took an easy layup after getting behind the Phoenix defense following an inbounds play with 12.9 seconds remaining to make it 99-96.
Bledsoe misfired on a left corner triple at the other end, but Manu Ginobili gave the Suns one more opportunity when he batted the rebound out of bounds. Gerald Green, though, was forced into a tough left wing trey and his shot ricocheted off the glass as time expired.
Parker also dished out six assists for San Antonio, which has won 10 of its last 12 meetings against the Suns. Danny Green netted 19 points and Tim Duncan added 17 points, five rebounds and five assists in the victory.
"We expect him to give us that offense and distribute the ball," Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said of Parker. "He's been doing it for a long long time now."
Markieff Morris tallied 23 points and 12 rebounds off the bench for the Suns, who fell to 3-2 on the young season. Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee poured in 15 points apiece in defeat.
"We played hard. We kept them off the boards," Morris said.
San Antonio led 29-21 after a quarter of play, but the Suns outscored the hosts 32-22 in the second to take a 53-51 edge into the break.
A back-and-forth third quarter featured six ties and three lead changes. The tilt was knotted at 72-72 heading into the fourth.
San Antonio registered 25 assists on 41 made field goals ... Bledsoe had 14 points and five assists ... The Spurs held a 56-48 points in the paint advantage.
Nov 6 10:47 PM
- PHOENIX: 73
SAN ANTONIO: 73
End of 3rd
Nov 6 10:11 PM
- PHOENIX: 53
SAN ANTONIO: 51
Nov 6 9:33 PM
- PHOENIX: 21
SAN ANTONIO: 29
End of 1st
Nov 6 9:04 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 2
1st Quarter - 11:37
Nov 6 8:46 PM
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12