Fourth-quarter surge sends Suns past NuggetsNov 9, 2013 - 5:57 AM
Miles Plumlee added 18 points and 11 boards, while Eric Bledsoe chipped in 17 points and nine assists for the Suns, who moved to 4-2 on the young season.
"Typically, the young guys get panicked and it gets even worse. Our guys are not doing that and that's a great sign. They stay with it, they stay composed even though we have a young team. That's a great sign for the future," Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek said.
Ty Lawson netted 29 points to lead Denver, which fell to 1-4 on the campaign. Jordan Hamilton tallied 19 points and nine rebounds, while Anthony Randolph scored 14 points off the bench in defeat.
Phoenix broke a 93-93 fourth-quarter tie with a 12-2 run, which Morris capped with a left-corner triple for a 105-95 Suns' lead with 3:02 left.
Back-to-back 3-pointers by Randolph and Hamilton cut the gap to four, but Bledsoe answered with a layup and a top-of-the-arc 3-pointer on consecutive possessions to give the Suns a 110-101 cushion with a minute to play.
Denver never threatened again.
The Suns led 35-29 after a quarter of play and a 13-2 surge to close out the half staked them a 64-47 spread at the break.
The Nuggets, though, went on an extended 25-4 swing in the third quarter to give them an 84-74 advantage with two minutes to go in the period. Denver took an 87-84 margin into the final frame.
"The third quarter when we went up 10, I should have managed the game better. We took a lot of quick shots and turned the ball over at the end of the quarter. That's the time you've got to manage the game, going into the fourth quarter and up by 10 or at last around there," Lawson said.
Both teams committed 20 turnovers ... Gerald Green had 12 points and five rebounds for the Suns ... Phoenix was 9-of-20 from beyond the arc ... The Suns outrebounded the Nuggets, 48-37.
Nov 8 11:33 PM
- DENVER: 87
End of 3rd
Nov 8 11:02 PM
- DENVER: 47
Nov 8 10:14 PM
- DENVER: 29
End of 1st
Nov 8 9:37 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Nov 8 9:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- Teletovic's 22 leads Suns past Clippers reserves, 114-105 Apr 14
- Clippers-Suns Preview Apr 13
- Nuggets-Trail Blazers Preview Apr 13
- Suns shift D-League team to Prescott Valley, Arizona Apr 12