Hill, Lakers pound PelicansNov 13, 2013 - 6:43 AM
Nick Young donated 17 points off the bench, Pau Gasol chipped in 14 with eight rebounds and Xavier Henry and Jodie Meeks each scored 15 for the Lakers, who bounced back nicely from a humbling loss to Minnesota on Sunday.
Los Angeles shot 56 percent from the field, held a commanding 53-31 rebounding advantage and led by as many as 28 to win going away.
"This is a good group of guys," Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Today they realized what it's going to take to win."
Eric Gordon paced New Orleans with 17 points and Anthony Davis checked in with 15 points despite battling foul trouble. The Pelicans have dropped the first two tests on their three-game road trip, which ends Wednesday in Utah.
"We just didn't go out there and play as hard as we had been playing. We just didn't execute," Pelicans head coach Monty Williams said.
The Lakers, who lost in New Orleans last Friday, opened the second quarter on a 12-2 run to extend their 22-19 lead, and they never looked back.
Jrue Holiday stopped the flurry with a fadeaway jumper, but the Lakers answered with the next eight points, as Gasol's bucket pushed the margin to 42-23 with 4:50 remaining in the half.
Los Angeles was in front, 55-39, after shooting 55 percent from the field in the first half and continued to press the pace coming out of the break.
Two days after surrendering 47 first-quarter points to the Timberwolves, the Lakers did not allow the Pelicans to hit that mark until five minutes were gone in the third.
Henry highlighted the quarter with a thunderous dunk over Jeff Withey, with whom he played college with at Kansas.
It was an 86-62 game at the end of three, and the reserves from both sides got plenty of playing time the rest of the way.
The Pelicans have lost nine straight road games against the Lakers ... Tyreke Evans, who was questionable with an ankle injury, scored 11 points for New Orleans ... Lakers point guard Steve Blake handed out a game-high 10 assists.
Nov 13 12:48 AM
- NEW ORLEANS: 62
LOS ANGELES: 86
End of 3rd
Nov 13 12:18 AM
- NEW ORLEANS: 39
LOS ANGELES: 55
Nov 12 11:35 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 19
LOS ANGELES: 22
End of 1st
Nov 12 11:04 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:50
Nov 12 10:44 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5
- Former Lakers coach Byron Scott 'shocked' over firing May 5