Parker, Spurs take down JazzNov 16, 2013 - 6:54 AM
Tony Parker scored 14 of his 22 points in the final period for San Antonio, which has won seven straight games and holds the best record in the western conference at 9-1.
Tim Duncan tallied 14 points and nine rebounds and Boris Diaw contributed 17 points off the bench.
"It took a little longer to get there, but we grinded it out," said Duncan. "They played well. They played hard as we knew they would. It's good to get a win."
The loss spoiled a career night for Derrick Favors, who scored 20 points and blocked three shots to go with a career-high 18 rebounds. Alec Burks added 12 points and a team-high four assists in his first career start as Utah failed to build off of its first win of the season from Wednesday.
The Jazz led 67-60 after 36 minutes, but San Antonio came alive in the fourth. Diaw opened the period with a 3-pointer and Danny Green followed with a pair of triples around a Parker three-point play. Green's second 3 put the Spurs in front, and they never looked back.
"I thought for the most part we stuck to the game plan," said Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin. "But you saw their experience. That's a good team over there. They know what to do to close a game out."
Utah went cold, and a set of Manu Ginobili free throws at the 3:34 mark had the Spurs in front, 85-75. Parker followed with a layup and free throws to put the game out of reach.
"We brought a little more energy in the second half," said Ginobili. "Terrible first quarter, very sloppy. They outplayed us, outworked us. But then slowly, we started to bring it and I think in the second half we did very good."
The Jazz shot just 7-of-23 from the floor in the fourth while the Spurs hit 10-of-19 and 8-of-10 from the stripe.
Earlier, Utah built a 15-point first quarter lead as Favors ripped down nine boards in the period. John Lucas III hit a jumper with 13.9 seconds left before Patty Mills' layup at the buzzer made it 29-16.
San Antonio won the second, 25-17.
Gordon Hayward scored 15 points on 5-of-23 from the floor ... The Spurs took 22 free throws to Utah's 11 ... San Antonio will have a long break before hosting Boston on Wednesday.
Nov 15 11:15 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 60
End of 3rd
Nov 15 10:44 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 41
Nov 15 10:01 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 16
End of 1st
Nov 15 9:33 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Nov 15 9:12 PM
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12