Balanced Rockets down NuggetsNov 17, 2013 - 7:28 AM
Chandler Parsons added 20 points, James Harden scored 17 and Terrence Jones finished with 14 points and 12 rebounds for the Rockets, winners in three of their last four games.
"We still have things to work on, but this is definitely a step in the right direction," said Parsons.
Jeremy Lin scored 16 points while Donatas Motiejunas and Patrick Beverley finished with 12 and 11 points, respectively, in the win.
Ty Lawson posted game-highs of 28 points and 17 assists, but it wasn't enough for the Nuggets, who had won three straight entering the contest.
"It's pretty simple, if you don't defend you are not going to win. We gave up 62 points in the paint, which is unheard of, and we have to put it together ourselves. We gave up three 30 point quarters and you just can't do that and expect to win," said Nuggets head coach Brian Shaw.
The Rockets opened the game on a 19-8 burst and led by as many as 16 in the opening frame before taking a 33-23 edge after the first 12 minutes.
Houston stretched its lead to 63-46 at the break after outscoring the Nuggets 30-23 in the second quarter. Motiejunas led the way with nine points on 4-of-5 shooting and Lin chipped in with eight of his points in the period.
The Rockets' lead swelled as high as 21 in the third quarter and the Nuggets couldn't get closer than nine the rest of the way.
Jones tied career highs in rebounds and points ... The Rockets shot 50.6 (41- for-81) from the field ... Lawson's 17 assists mark a new career high. Lawson had 15 assists against the Rockets last season.
Nov 16 10:33 PM
- DENVER: 75
End of 3rd
Nov 16 9:51 PM
- DENVER: 46
Nov 16 9:07 PM
- DENVER: 23
End of 1st
Nov 16 8:39 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Nov 16 8:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26
- Warriors-Rockets Game 4: most 1st-round viewers since '02 Apr 26
- Stephen Curry out at least 2 weeks with sprained right knee Apr 25
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 24