Thomas, Cousins help Kings cruise past SunsNov 21, 2013 - 5:52 AM
The Kings led by as many as 20 after a strong start to the second half and were the first team this season to prevent the Suns from taking a lead in the fourth quarter.
Greivis Vasquez chipped in 13 points and six assists for Sacramento, which outscored the Suns at the free throw line, 32-15.
Goran Dragic and Gerald Green paced Phoenix with 31 and 23 points, respectively, but it was not enough to stop the club's three-game slide, including Tuesday's 107-104 setback in Sacramento.
"We have to go back to the drawing board and figure out what we were doing the first seven games that we played well and try to figure out what we are doing wrong," Green said.
It was actually a tie game, 27-27, after the first quarter, but the Suns never held a lead over the final 36 minutes.
Phoenix trailed 55-50 at the intermission, and after Green drained a 3-pointer to open the second half scoring, the Kings netted the next 10 points to seize control. Jason Thompson scored six of his 10 points during the surge.
The margin was 74-62 heading to the fourth, and a 3-pointer from Jimmer Fredette four minutes into the quarter extended the difference to 88-68.
The closest it got from there was six, and the Kings made all 11 of the free throws over the final minute to seal the win.
"We played great defense in the third quarter," said Cousins, referring to the Suns' 12-point showing in the frame. "(We) gave up a lot in the fourth but stayed poised and composed and we finished out the fourth quarter strong."
Green, starting for injured guard Eric Bledsoe (shin), made six of the Suns' 15 3-pointers ... Phoenix had won 12 of its previous 14 home games against the Kings ... The Suns have yet to lose by double digits this season ... Sacramento committed 10 turnovers and forced 17.
Nov 20 11:28 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 113
End of Regulation
Nov 20 11:28 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 74
End of 3rd
Nov 20 10:47 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 55
Nov 20 10:07 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 27
End of 1st
Nov 20 9:40 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:46
Nov 20 9:14 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14