Burke, Jazz down Suns for first road winDec 1, 2013 - 8:29 AM
Trey Burke led seven players in double-figures with a career-high 20 points as the Utah Jazz defeated the Phoenix Suns, 112-104, in the back-end of a home- and-home.
Richard Jefferson netted 15 points, while Marvin Williams and Derrick Favors tallied 14 points apiece in the win.
"It was a good one for us," Williams said. "Phoenix came out and beat us on our home floor last night and we didn't feel to good about that so we took a look at the film and changed some things this morning and it really worked out for us tonight."
Goran Dragic paced Phoenix with 24 points and nine assists, while Channing Frye added 17 points on 3-of-6 shooting from beyond the arc.
A night after losing on its home floor, Utah took care of the Suns at their place, outscoring Phoenix 63-51 in the second half.
The Jazz built a 28-23 lead after one but the Suns went on a 7-2 run to begin the second quarter which tied the game 30-30.
Utah countered with an 8-0 run and built the lead to 48-41 until Phoenix ended the stanza on a 12-1 spurt to take a 53-49 lead at the break. Dragic had 11 points in the quarter.
The teams played a relatively close third quarter with four ties and one lead change as each team's largest lead was four. The Jazz led 78-77 heading into the fourth.
The game was tied at 86-86 when the Jazz used a 12-5 run to take a 98-91 lead after a Williams trey with 5:15 remaining in the game. The Suns closed to within three, but that is as close as they would get.
Burke made a clutch 3-pointer with 1:13 left to give the Jazz a 105-97 advantage.
"We said it from the start of the game, you can't give them life," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. "You come back from winning last night and I think they thought they were good. Our guys thought they could just show up tonight and win the game and in this game it doesn't happen that way, but they don't want to listen to it."
Utah shot 25-of-29 (86.2 percent) from the free-throw line and 9-of-18 (50 percent) from beyond the arc ... The Jazz outscored the Suns 25-13 in second chance points ... Phoenix travels to Memphis to play the Grizzlies on Tuesday ... The Jazz return home for a meeting with Houston on Monday.
Nov 30 11:24 PM
- UTAH: 78
End of 3rd
Nov 30 10:46 PM
- UTAH: 49
Nov 30 10:07 PM
- UTAH: 28
End of 1st
Nov 30 9:34 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 11:39
Nov 30 9:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Kobe scores 60 points in unbelievable farewell victory Apr 14
- Teletovic's 22 leads Suns past Clippers reserves, 114-105 Apr 14
- Warriors' chase, Kobe's finale highlight NBA's final night Apr 13
- Clippers-Suns Preview Apr 13