Parker leads Spurs past MinnesotaDec 14, 2013 - 5:54 AM San Antonio Spurs to a 117-110 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves from AT&T Center.
Manu Ginobili contributed 20 points off the bench and Kawhi Leonard netted a season-high 19 points for San Antonio, which snapped a two-game losing streak against Minnesota.
Tim Duncan added a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
Kevin Love had a game-high 42 points with 14 boards, while Nikola Pekovic also recorded a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
Ricky Rubio and Kevin Martin scored 15 and 14 points, respectively, in the setback.
"Manu's play, Tony's play, they all have great energy," said Duncan when referring to the fourth quarter. "We didn't play a great three quarters but Manu hit some big shots, I thought Kawhi was great as well and obviously Tony has been carrying us all year."
After a 3-pointer from Love put Minnesota up 98-91 early in the fourth quarter, Parker hit a triple and then converted a three-point play on the following possession to make it a one-point deficit.
Ginobili tied it at 102 with a 3-pointer a couple of minutes later.
Minnesota led 108-107 when San Antonio's "Big 3" put the game away. Duncan hit a layup, which was followed by back-to-back layups from Ginobili and Parker.
Martin hit two free throws and Parker hit a tough layup in traffic to extend the lead to 115-110 and seal it for the hosts.
"I thought we played well," said Minnesota head coach Rick Adelman. "If we can play like that and get a little bit better defensively we're going to win ball games."
Leonard opened the third quarter with a dunk for a 64-54 Spurs lead and the Timberwolves proceeded to go on a 12-0 run to grab the lead.
Love hit successive triples during the spurt and Rubio capped it with a jumper at 8:19.
Love spearheaded a 10-0 run later in the third with two more 3-pointers to help Minnesota to an 89-80 lead heading to the fourth.
The Timberwolves led 30-27 after the first, but San Antonio outscored the visitors 35-24 in the second to take a 62-54 lead into the break.
The Spurs have now won three straight since losing to Indiana at home Dec. 7 ... There were 20 lead changes and 10 ties in the game ... The Spurs shot 48- of-87 (55.2 percent) from the field ... San Antonio outscored Minnesota 62-36 in the paint ... Boris Diaw and Marco Belinelli chipped in with 12 points apiece for San Antonio ... Minnesota plays at Memphis on Sunday ... San Antonio will play at Utah on Saturday.
Dec 13 10:41 PM
- MINNESOTA: 89
SAN ANTONIO: 80
End of 3rd
Dec 13 10:07 PM
- MINNESOTA: 54
SAN ANTONIO: 62
Dec 13 9:31 PM
- MINNESOTA: 30
SAN ANTONIO: 27
End of 1st
Dec 13 9:04 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 3
1st Quarter - 11:39
Dec 13 8:42 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15