Gasol, Lakers down JazzJan 4, 2014 - 6:49 AM
Kendall Marshall posted career-highs with 20 points, 15 assists and six rebounds and Jodie Meeks added 18 points and six helpers for the Lakers, who snapped a six-game skid.
"We communicated tonight. I am thankful for the position I'm in. I'm trying to make the best of it. My goal tonight was to win the game. I felt like I was back at Carolina," said Marshall, a former standout guard at North Carolina.
Gordon Hayward scored a team-high 22 points and Enes Kanter finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds off the bench for the Jazz, who had won two straight entering the contest.
"We had opportunities. We fought back. We can't afford to fall that far behind, especially on the road. We didn't get out to the start we thought we would," said Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin.
Los Angeles led 83-67 at the start of the fourth, but saw that lead shrink to just four points, 90-86, following a 17-9 Jazz run to the start the fourth quarter.
The Lakers lead went back to eight following Gasol's sweeping hook shot with 3:42, but Derrick Favors and Trey Burke hit back-to-back jumpers to make it 94-90 with 2:07 left.
LA, though, used an 11-4 run to go up 105-94, and it never got closer than eight the rest of the way.
The Lakers led 30-12 after holding the Jazz to just 23.1 percent (6-for-26) shooting over the first 12 minutes. The hosts went up by as many as 20 in the second frame, but the Jazz rallied to cut the deficit to 12, 52-40, entering the break.
LA's lead ballooned once again, this time to 21 points, in the third and the Lakers took an 83-67 edge into the final frame.
The Lakers shot 51.9 percent (42-for-81) from the floor ... Marshall made his first career start with the Lakers ... Richard Jefferson scored 16 points and Favors had 11 points and six rebounds in the loss.
Jan 4 12:53 AM
- UTAH: 99
LOS ANGELES: 110
End of Regulation
Jan 4 12:52 AM
- UTAH: 67
LOS ANGELES: 83
End of 3rd
Jan 4 12:16 AM
- UTAH: 40
LOS ANGELES: 52
Jan 3 11:33 PM
- UTAH: 12
LOS ANGELES: 30
End of 1st
Jan 3 11:06 PM
- UTAH: 0
LOS ANGELES: 3
1st Quarter - 11:41
Jan 3 10:40 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6