Gay leads Kings over PelicansJan 22, 2014 - 6:46 AM Sacramento Kings rolled to a 114-97 win over the New Orleans Pelicans on Tuesday.
Isaiah Thomas added 20 points and 11 assists and DeMarcus Cousins scored 18 with 11 rebounds for the Kings, who improved to 2-3 on a six-game road trip.
Gay was 16-of-25 from the field overall and 5-of-8 from 3-point range one game after being ejected in the fourth quarter of a 15-pooint loss to Oklahoma City on Sunday.
"He put on a show coming off a game where he didn't play well," said Kings coach Mike Malone. "I think he wanted to bounce back and show everyone what he's capable of."
Tyreke Evans scored 17 points, Anthony Davis had 16 and Brian Roberts chipped in 15 points for the Pelicans, who have lost nine of their last 10.
"We just didn't have a lot of juice collectively from our starters tonight," said Pelicans coach Monty Williams.
The Kings shot 70 percent in the first quarter for a 38-20 lead and went up by 23 on Gay's 3-pointer midway through the second. But the Pelicans used a 24-7 run to get within six.
Evans and Roberts scored six apiece during the burst -- Evans had six in a row near the end of it -- before Sacramento got the last two points of the half for a 64-56 lead.
Those points started a 21-4 run that put the Kings back up by 23. Gay had eight points during it, including a pair of 3-pointers. His 3 to end the run made it 83-60 and New Orleans was never closer than 15 the rest of the game.
Sacramento is 2-3 on a six-game road trip that ends Wednesday at Houston ... The Kings shot 51.2 percent and the Pelicans 47.8 percent ... Sacramento out- rebounded New Orleans 46-35.
Jan 21 10:31 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 91
NEW ORLEANS: 70
End of 3rd
Jan 21 9:58 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 64
NEW ORLEANS: 56
Jan 21 9:16 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 38
NEW ORLEANS: 20
End of 1st
Jan 21 8:39 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 2
1st Quarter - 11:44
Jan 21 8:10 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28