Howard powers Rockets past KingsJan 23, 2014 - 7:08 AM Houston Rockets to a 119-98 drubbing of the Sacramento Kings.
James Harden tallied 24 points with nine assists and Chandler Parsons had 19 points with 10 rebounds in the win, snapping a two-game skid against Sacramento.
Omri Casspi contributed 20 points and 12 rebounds off the bench, while Jeremy Lin added 13 points as a reserve for Houston, which has won three straight overall and six of its last seven.
"I thought we had good ball movement," said Rockets coach Kevin McHale. "I thought our defense at times was really, really good tonight. Guys were just making simple plays."
Derrick Williams paced the Kings with 22 points to go along with 11 rebounds off the bench and Isaiah Thomas deposited 20 points and six assists in Sacramento's third loss in its last four games.
In addition to the setback, the Kings lost Rudy Gay in the first quarter to an Achilles injury and DeMarcus Cousins left in the second with a sprained left ankle.
"It hurts all of us," Williams admitted of the early departures to Cousins and Gay. "Especially when you're missing 40 points a game between the two of them, and it really hurts the whole game plan."
Gay and Thomas hit successive jumpers midway through the first quarter to help the Kings to a 12-7 advantage. Gay's injury occurred as he landed from his successful floater. He came up lame and immediately left the game for further examination.
The Kings lead wouldn't stick as the Rockets answered with a 14-5 run. Harden scored eight points during the spurt and Houston never looked back from there.
The Rockets led 29-22 after the first quarter and owned a 55-44 edge at the break.
It continued to get worse for Sacramento in the third quarter as Casspi made a layup to push the lead to 76-54 with just under six minutes left in the frame. The lead swelled to as many as 29 in the fourth as Casspi nailed a trey to give the Rockets a 110-81 lead and they coasted in the final minutes.
Houston shot 47.8 percent (43-for-90) from the field ... Jimmer Fredette and Ben McLemore scored 14 and 11 points, respectively, in defeat ... Houston outscored Sacramento in every quarter.
Jan 22 10:36 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 73
End of 3rd
Jan 22 10:07 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 44
Jan 22 9:16 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 22
End of 1st
Jan 22 8:41 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Jan 22 8:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26