Aldridge paces Blazers over TimberwolvesJan 26, 2014 - 7:04 AM Portland, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - LaMarcus Aldridge had 21 points and six rebounds as the Portland Trail Blazers defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves, 115-104, on Saturday night.
Wesley Matthews tallied 18 points and six rebounds, while Robin Lopez added 15 points and 10 boards for the Blazers, who have won seven of their last nine games.
"I thought he just came out and played basketball. He didn't try to overdo it, he didn't try to do too much," Blazers guard Mo Williams said of Aldridge.
Kevin Martin netted 30 points, while Nikola Pekovic finished with 23 points and 11 rebounds for Minnesota, which had its three-game winning streak snapped.
"They were taking a lot from, but K-Mart stepped up and Pek stepped up," Minnesota forward Kevin Love said. "I thought we played well."
Martin's jumper staked the Wolves to an 81-80 edge late in the third quarter, but they never led again after Williams nailed a triple at the other end. Williams then hit a runner and Aldridge followed with a jumper to give the Blazers an 87-81 cushion heading into the fourth.
After Pekovic's hook shot pulled Minnesota within 93-86 with 8:29 left, Damian Lillard knocked down a pull-up jumper and 3-pointer on consecutive trips down the floor to cap a 12-2 run and give Portland a 105-88 advantage midway through the frame.
The Blazers coasted to the easy victory from there.
Minnesota led 29-27 after a quarter of play, but Portland outscored the Wolves 38-28 in the second and took a 65-57 advantage into the break.
The Blazers shot 48.4 percent (46-of-95) from the field, but made just 4-of-16 (25 percent) from beyond the arc ... Williams had 16 points, six assists and five rebounds.
Jan 26 12:17 AM
- MINNESOTA: 81
End of 3rd
Jan 25 11:44 PM
- MINNESOTA: 57
Jan 25 11:09 PM
- MINNESOTA: 29
End of 1st
Jan 25 10:36 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:49
Jan 25 10:11 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12